Sound Deadning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice! How much sound deadener did you use per door? Also, do you recall the top mount depth of the speakers before the MDF rings? I will definitely refer to this thread when I install my components. Subscribed!

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice! How much sound deadener did you use per door? Also, do you recall the top mount depth of the speakers before the MDF rings? I will definitely refer to this thread when I install my components. Subscribed!
Thank you Sir !!!
Doors took about 25 to 30 sq ft of deadner ...
Mounting depth before the rings ?? Not Enough to clear the window ...
Some 6.5" drivers will fit, some will require a smaller trim ring (half the size of mine) ... then the larger, more robust magnet style drivers need what I have done to mine, which is why most people do the fiberglass thing ... Fiberglassing my doors was the idea at first, but came up with this, then saw no need to fiberglass ...
Fiberglassing is the most perferred, and looks really cool, but requires alot of time and work (two things I really didn't have at the time of the install) ...

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You did a great job, I'll bet it sound's really good in there as well!
Thank you Sir !!!
I'm not done with the Deadning process ... I still have the roof and half of the floor to go (and some small nit picky stuff also) ...
but Yes, I really enjoy how quiet it is and less motor / road noise while driving ...

T DOG

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you Sir !!!

Mounting depth before the rings ?? Not Enough to clear the window ...

I'm just trying to gauge how much depth there is. My driver is 2.95" deep and I will be using a 3/8" ring. So I need just over 2.5".

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan on putting deadner in my truck. Just for ride quality, road noise, exhaust, that sort of thing. How much do you think I'd need to do the doors, floor, rear behind seats, and firewall? BTW I really like that memory foam thing. Probably helps keep it cooler in the cab in the summer, warmer in the winter. :D

Cablguy184

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm just trying to gauge how much depth there is. My driver is 2.95" deep and I will be using a 3/8" ring. So I need just over 2.5".
Sounds about right ... mainly trial and Error ... Best of luck, be sure to deaden those doors !!!
Looks great!
Thank you Sir ... More pics on the way !!!
I plan on putting deadner in my truck. Just for ride quality, road noise, exhaust, that sort of thing. How much do you think I'd need to do the doors, floor, rear behind seats, and firewall? BTW I really like that memory foam thing. Probably helps keep it cooler in the cab in the summer, warmer in the winter. :D
Sounds like a plan Sir !!! Not sure of the other deadner products, but a comfortable number would be about 75 sq ft for Audio Technix ...
And I will let you know about that "warmer in the winter" thing soon ... but it DOES prevent rattles (my primary goal) ...

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Good job!
I was going to do the inner metal panel of the doors in a layer of the deadener, but that memory foam trick is pretty slick! Being an interior guy, I'm always looking for new ideas. After 30 years doing this, I'm still learning. And not just from other upholsterers. Thumbs up!