(SOLVED -ish?) HELP! Lug nut thread pattern shenanigans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
that picture came from under my 89 K3500... i figured that 11 22 88 wouldn't be a date, that would be too simple, but a ford van? I really feel like the PO, who was the original owner, wouldve mentioned if it wasnt stock, but none of this makes sense at all now

If this was a working ranch, maybe he wasn't super involved in the repair and then simply forgot about it?

SasquatchOnDeck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Full story - Jamul, southern Cali / Somewhere in Arizona. Bought it earlier this year looking to take a rust free project home with me when i get out of the Navy. Months of being picky on facebook marketplace had me reminiscing my high school truck sitting in my parent's yard, when i saw a blue, 89 Extended cab, 4x4 dually 1 ton with a 454/400TH. Two windshield cracks, one spot of roof rust, and an aftermarket steering wheel, otherwise mint and entirely unmolested at 106k miles. Fella on the edge of retirement now that he had bought his eleventh house had used it to haul hay for a horse at some point, and otherwise it was dailied to a government desk job or parked. It has been resprayed. Didn't know he was the first owner until i got home and the booklet turned out to be warranty info, not a manual, with his name, purchase date 18 SEP 1989, and mileage at delivery: 36. He mentioned replacing the transmission, it's an allison branded 400TH from what i can tell, but he mentioned nothing of the axle, and front hubs seem to match it. Patina seems the same from the under bed to the axle so if it was swapped it was done very early in it's life. Only other thing i've found is that the heater core hose has been cut and plugged at each end... so i can only assume it was leaking. That'll be as fun as driving it cross country next spring.
Also, It's looking like it's actually a 5/8 x 18... it seemed to thread on a little easier than m16, which went about 3/4 inches onto the stud i tried before it started to bind, assuming the patterns are so close they're deceivingly close to interchangeable. I was in a hurry. I'll update when the set of nuts i ordered shows up.
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
He mentioned replacing the transmission, it's an allison branded 400TH from what i can tell, but he mentioned nothing of the axle, and front hubs seem to match it.

An Allison branded TH400? So rebuilt by them, or actually has "Allison" cast into the side of it?

Patina seems the same from the under bed to the axle so if it was swapped it was done very early in it's life. Only other thing i've found is that the heater core hose has been cut and plugged at each end... so i can only assume it was leaking. That'll be as fun as driving it cross country next spring.

It can't be too early in it's life, if the axle is from a 2000 Ford.

The heater core is no big deal to change in these trucks.

Also, It's looking like it's actually a 5/8 x 18... it seemed to thread on a little easier than m16, which went about 3/4 inches onto the stud i tried before it started to bind, assuming the patterns are so close they're deceivingly close to interchangeable. I was in a hurry. I'll update when the set of nuts i ordered shows up.
You must be registered for see images attach

That's really nice looking. Given some of the mechanicals you've mentioned, I'd like to see more pictures..... transmission, front end, and the interior as that looks like it may be custom too....... I don't think those seats are stock.

SasquatchOnDeck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's really nice looking. Given some of the mechanicals you've mentioned, I'd like to see more pictures..... transmission, front end, and the interior as that looks like it may be custom too....... I don't think those seats are stock.
Ya know, i was thinking of starting a thread about the whole truck itself, ill tag you in it if i get around to it this weekend. I'm putting a cheap tach in it today, im paranoid of running this thing at freeway speeds just based off how fast it sounds like its running, but, it may be completely healthy, i really don't know. I'd just like some peace of mind before this 2500 mile drive.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Running a TH400 and tall gears will make it sound like it's running really fast, especially if you're used to O/D and highway gears.

A tach is a good idea. It's easy to window a big block if you rev it too high for too long. Bought an '89 7.4 dually parts truck that way; guy put a billet gauge face on, forgot to hook up the shift indicator when he put the cluster back in, let his wife drive the truck. Yep.. she missed "D" and ran it lord knows how fast in 2nd.

Richard

SasquatchOnDeck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running a TH400 and tall gears will make it sound like it's running really fast, especially if you're used to O/D and highway gears.

A tach is a good idea. It's easy to window a big block if you rev it too high for too long. Bought an '89 7.4 dually parts truck that way; guy put a billet gauge face on, forgot to hook up the shift indicator when he put the cluster back in, let his wife drive the truck. Yep.. she missed "D" and ran it lord knows how fast in 2nd.

Richard
Ah, the things we do for some tang.
And yeah, my other OBS was an 88 with a 350 and a 700R4, so it's definitely a different feeling.
Anyway, i got the tach in, and it's reading my idle around 12-1400 RPM, that sound about right for a stock 454? Its an amazon special so i'm not sure about trusting it, but it had decent reviews. Replaced the radiator and everything attached to it yesterday... the transmission lines were fun. Still waiting on lug nuts.