Soft headliner? (ATTN SELOW!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I pulled the headliner out of my 94 last night with the intention of recovering it, as I've done on 3 other of my trucks now. It felt flimsy to me pulling it out but I didn't think much of it. Pulled the fabric off, and immediately noticed that what was under was more of a fabric than a foam. In the past I've scraped the foam off with various tools; this time though, it seemed like soft toilet paper (closest thing I could think of ha). I started rubbing and went straight through...it is basically just 10 ply toilet paper molded on a very thin mesh back. Not a fiberglass shell like I'm used to working with. Anyone every encountered this?

Trying to think on the fly and save this "shell", I took a can of 3M 90 and just layered it on thick, plan is to let it cure a couple days and hopefully have a surface that the new headliner and adhesive can bond to.

Any ideas?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've run into those before. PITA POS's! Yea! Good description! '10 ply T.P.'! Treat it with kid gloves! The glue will help. If it's too F'd up or gets thin in spots from removing the fabric & 1/2 the thickness of the panel coming off with it, you may be better off getting a panel made of the better material. Those layers where they separated will transfer those lumps & bumps left behind, into the new H/L fabric.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider re-doing it if I wasn't using camo. The camo hides a LOT of imperfection. Thanks for your input!