Soft brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 1997 K 1500 brake booster went bad but before booster went bad it still had a soft pedal, when I replaced the booster I had a friend of mine help me bleed the brakes and still have soft pedal when you first hit the brake pedal for the first time the brake light comes on after that you pump them and it will go out been doing some research and from what I understand the ABS has air in the lines also heard to hit a gravel road and make the ABS kick in and then bleed them again any more additional help with this situation we will be greatly appreciated

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You may need to do a pressure bleed, ans system flush. Watch the video all the way through. It is very detailed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh and if you havent do so already, you may want to do the NBS MC swap. I took mine off of a 2001 Tahoe. There are some threads on here about doing the MC swap.
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Before you try anything drastic, take it to a shop with a GM Tech 2 or equivalent bi-directional scan tool that can command the ABS module to open. This will allow you to get all the air out of the system in the easiest, safest way possible.

Alternatively if you really don't want to do that, (Which it seems many people on this site don't for some reason) you can accomplish the same result by slamming on the brakes on gravel and re-bleeding multiple times.

Reaction score
Before you try anything drastic, take it to a shop with a GM Tech 2 or equivalent bi-directional scan tool that can command the ABS module to open. This will allow you to get all the air out of the system in the easiest, safest way possible.

Alternatively if you really don't want to do that, (Which it seems many people on this site don't for some reason) you can accomplish the same result by slamming on the brakes on gravel and re-bleeding multiple times.
Ok thanks for input. I'l have to see about that.

Reaction score

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am not saying that df2x4 is wrong, but I have never used a scan tool to bleed my brakes. When I did my MC swap, I just did my bleed the old fashion way. I bench blead the MC, then after the install, I blead it again on the truck, then I started @ the rear passengers wheel. I bleed all wheels 6 times, then started over again with the rear passengers wheel. So I bleed each wheel 12 times. You can see how clear the fluid is in the pic of my MC above. It almost looks like the MC is empty, but it is not. This is also why I posted about the pressure bleed. Some say that the MC swap is not a good idea, as the NBS trucks are rear disc brakes, and they take less pressure. All I can tell you, is that it works well on my 97, and all I did was the MC swap as described above. Oh and my wife bitched the next day because of all of the peddle pumping while helping me bleed my system. The thing I like about these trucks, is that you can still fix them the old way most of the time. They are easy to work on. If you have all of the scan tool to do this, then fine, but I did mine without any scan tool.

Reaction score
I am not saying that df2x4 is wrong, but I have never used a scan tool to bleed my brakes. When I did my MC swap, I just did my bleed the old fashion way. I bench blead the MC, then after the install, I blead it again on the truck, then I started @ the rear passengers wheel. I bleed all wheels 6 times, then started over again with the rear passengers wheel. So I bleed each wheel 12 times. You can see how clear the fluid is in the pic of my MC above. It almost looks like the MC is empty, but it is not. This is also why I posted about the pressure bleed. Some say that the MC swap is not a good idea, as the NBS trucks are rear disc brakes, and they take less pressure. All I can tell you, is that it works well on my 97, and all I did was the MC swap as described above. Oh and my wife bitched the next day because of all of the peddle pumping while helping me bleed my system. The thing I like about these trucks, is that you can still fix them the old way most of the time. They are easy to work on. If you have all of the scan tool to do this, then fine, but I did mine without any scan tool.
Ok maybe I didn't bleed enough, the brakes was soft before I changed the booster, but know they seem more so and the light comes on. Thanks for the info