SO I DON'T WANT TO PAINT MY TRUCK BUT I DO.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my experience painting cars is primarily putting 20-foot paint jobs on race cars. It sounds like Jack has a plan and is not just spray-bombing it flat black, which I see a lot of and always looks like butt. Thanks for the pointer on clearcoats interacting with Rustoleum.

Needs15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The summit racing paint brand is a good cheaper product, the most important thing is a good prep job on the truck before paint as that will make it look the best, as has been stated, 2k epoxy for your primer will give you best outside rust protection, cavity wax on the inside after paint will protect the inside, don't mix brands of primers, paints, hardners, reducers as your just asking for trouble there especially with a daily driver in lots of different weather and salty roads. Anything with a hardner will keep it looking the best for the longest and give you the least amount of grief if you ever want to touch it up or repaint it. Don't rush things, paint jobs only look as good as the prep work.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have the rust free box in my garage upside down on rollers it's clean prepped and the underside is ready for a coating. Forget about the outside just focus on the underside of the box. What would you do with it to prevent rust while you have the chance to access it upside down like this off the truck.

Needs15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me personally would spray it with epoxy, let is sit the recommended amount of time then hit it with gravel guard or box liner but that is also professional me talking, as i do autobody for a living, if your on a real tight budget, just a good epoxy with 2 or 3 coats and then cavity wax where you can't spray with epoxy.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. I got a gallon of Dynacoat Epoxy Primer and Hardener from my local Carquest Auto 160.00 for both 3:1 mix no reducer. Went on great with a 20.00 hvlp 1.4 gun. My first try with the test panel over red oxide primer and rustoleum paint just scuffed up looked amazing. Got the bottom of the box done with one coat. I am going to give it another coat of primer then top coat it with something, not sure what, but I am going to stay with the same brand. Then I will cavity wax it. Trying my best, thanks again for all the good advice.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying. Seems like good stuff and I have the data sheet Carquest printed off for me. I opened up the gun a bit and turned the pressure up a bit with 1.4 tip and it sprays great.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying. Seems like good stuff and I have the data sheet Carquest printed off for me. I opened up the gun a bit and turned the pressure up a bit with 1.4 tip and it sprays great.

Cool, the guys at Carquest are usually pretty knowledgeable and have been through some manufacture paint training programs.