Slim subwoofers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys just like some input, I'd like 2 ten inch subs in the back of my 96 ext. Cab. Can I just buy any subwoofers I want and build my own box? Or are there any other suggestions? As in does someone make them or any opinions on which kind of system sounds the best? Just seeing what everyone else has gone through as all! Thanks!

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yes, you can buy two 10" subwoofers and build a box to suit. However, there are pros and cons to doing just that. If you want to keep the factory tool kit, you will only be able to use one. ( assuming you want to retain the rear seat and not lose utility of the backseat )

Choosing a subwoofer, there are many to chose from... some require large boxes and have weak motors. Some have tiny box requirements, but very strong and large motors which will be too deep to utilize.

There are vendors that have boxes already built, it's probably more economical to go this route, unless you like math and carpentry. Choose a suitable subwoofer based on the internal volume of the box in cubic feet and the mounting depth.

Amplifiers: most are too deep to be mounted on the rear cab wall and have the seat fold up and down. If that's a concern, then you might want to choose another mounting location. I used under seat mounting, but you have to do a bit of fabrication and modification to fit amps under the front seats.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man this is a big help! Any where to start with buying the box? Amazon or just Google it and see what I find? You know what I mean?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
To be honest, a single subwoofer is plenty for most people... me included, and I like bass. Having a low profile system that's stealth will give you less problems. If they look in the window and see nothing, they will likely move on to the next target.

Ebay, Amazon probably. I use a plastic molded box that is shaped to the floor, and tucks under the rear seat. There is no leg room lost, and it fits like a glove. The deepest I could manage was under 6" mounting depth, and an Alpine Type E 10" fit the best in terms of enclosure size to the requirement of the subwoofer.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I decided to go with a dual 10inch box, i will post links to show you! And Micheal I think you'll really enjoy this box because of how it's made. Its a downward firing box and conceals your system very well. I wont have space under my rear bench seats but I've placed all my necessities in the rear pockets (tow straps, flashlight, tools, and a hatchet) So the space I'm not all too worried about. I'm more than happy to share the links if you guys would like!

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Df2, where did you get that chevy emblem, as my truck is red and black that looks sweet!

It's actually a 454SS/Sport truck bowtie. GM part number 12543000. You can still get them new on parts sites for around $35 IIRC. My truck is Victory Red too, I'm actually replacing all my emblems with the 454SS equivalents. Good luck finding the red and black door emblems, I looked for 6 months and just now found a nice set for $200. :lol:

EDIT - Actually, just remembered that this ad was posted in my thread. Can't really tell the condition of them from the pics, but they're worth what he's asking regardless. They've been discontinued for quite a while now.

http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/4720501769.html

DOUBLE EDIT - That bowtie part number I posted is for '96 and up grilles. The '95 and under has a different number I believe, never researched that one as both of my trucks are '97s.

Last edited: