Skipping of the brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MetalGrand

Reaction score
I just bought a 98 K1500 and I noticed that when i'm going slow and I brake, it kinda feels like it skips and when I am going like 35 plus and brake kinda hard, the truck shakes a lot. Any ideas what this could be?

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New rotors aren't horrible to replace, but if you're unsure on how to do them or uncomfortable doing them, I'd suggest taking it in. Front brakes aren't too horrible on the wallet.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a haynes manual and do them yourself, theyre stupid easy to do. On the driveway even if you dont know what your doing, wont take longer than a 2 hours. Only simple handtools involved.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yup!!!^^^ Autoshop 101. Basic hand tools, & a Haynes. Replace the pads too, if they need. More than likely, they will.
Just can't see paying someone $90.00/hr to do a job that's relatively simple. It will take you longer than a shop would, but you get the satisfaction, & bragging rights. Ask a neighbour/in-law/cousin, whatever, that's got some exp. if you're really unsure.
Dead simple job.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup!!!^^^ Autoshop 101. Basic hand tools, & a Haynes. Replace the pads too, if they need. More than likely, they will.
Just can't see paying someone $90.00/hr to do a job that's relatively simple. It will take you longer than a shop would, but you get the satisfaction, & bragging rights. Ask a neighbour/in-law/cousin, whatever, that's got some exp. if you're really unsure.
Dead simple job.

Damn skippy, this to me is basic maintenance, paying someone hundreds of bucks for this is to me highway robbery. Plus with the money you save you can get better parts and more tools :D

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
after the wheel is off all you need is an allen wrench to take off the caliper, a screwdriver to pop out the pads (sometimes) a C-Clamp to push the caliper piston back in (push against the old pads not the new ones) and make sure there is no crap on the hub surface when you put the new rotor on. A quick google search should have you in the know as well.