Shift cable adjustment 97 4L60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I had my trans rebuilt and have it back in and everything buttoned up with the exception of the shift cable. It seems about a quarter inch too long now. It is adjusted all the way in at the end. I don't remember it being in a bind when I removed it. Am I missing something onvious? I could maybe force it, but that seems a bit extreme

Last edited:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Try flipping the shifter arm around.
You are the man. This jarred my memory and I looked back at some pics I took when taking stuff apart. I installed the lever with the stud out. I'll check it out when I get home today. It's always the simple stuff

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are the man. This jarred my memory and I looked back at some pics I took when taking stuff apart. I installed the lever with the stud out. I'll check it out when I get home today. It's always the simple stuff
Glad to be of help. I just ran into this myself. Most go stud out.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Glad to be of help. I just ran into this myself. Most go stud out.
Your answer certainly had the smell of "been there, done that" on it. I had to facepalm when I read your answer. So simple. Yes, most go out. I'll flip it this afternoon and update.

gmtruckwoman1

Reaction score
My cables so long n it was already attached when i bought truck..so thats how i left it but it kept not lining up right were it pops on inside cab to linkage under dash by steering...it was never straight it always pulled away on a slight angle..
It wont move easy n smooth n now cable stops at 3rd when i try to shift it thru gears jacked up on stands .so i haven't driven it yet..i popped it off..i think its too long..
Anyone know length?
Im hoping i didnt damage the linkage in column cause that look n feels damaged...i cant win with this truck..

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My cables so long n it was already attached when i bought truck..so thats how i left it but it kept not lining up right were it pops on inside cab to linkage under dash by steering...it was never straight it always pulled away on a slight angle..
It wont move easy n smooth n now cable stops at 3rd when i try to shift it thru gears jacked up on stands .so i haven't driven it yet..i popped it off..i think its too long..
Anyone know length?
Im hoping i didnt damage the linkage in column cause that look n feels damaged...i cant win with this truck..
Correct length of shift cable? I'm assuming it's for your '96 C1500 you mentioned in another post.

Don't know for a fact which is the correct length but on Rock there are 6 cables offered. 3 of those say right in the description they are 118", and of the other 3.. the Dorman is 114" (2900mm in the info page), while SKP and GM don't see fit to tell us the dimensions, though the SKP is listed as a cross reference for the GM part.

Richard