setting distributor (cam retard) on 5.7 vortec with aftermarket distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

munly

Reaction score
Hi. I just made a post a few days ago about my intake manifold gasket replacement. Now I'm trying to get the timing correct. The truck runs, I brought it to a shop to get the cam retatd adjusted. I was -8 and after adjusting -6 was as close to zero as the mechanic could get. The distributor is a DUI product, it has a circular hole for the hold down bolt. I was wondering if I should elongate the hole in an oval shape to be able to turn the distributor slightly more counterclockwise. I had this happen in the past as well where -6 was as close zero as the timing would go. This is the only solution I can think of, any info would be great, or anyone with experience with a DUI distributor in a 5.7 vortec. Thanks in advance.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
May need to pull it back out and move it over 1 tooth to get some more adjustment on it, how far will it go the other way?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DOes it not want to rotate because the wires are too tight? I cant see anything else that would stop you from being able to rotate the dizzy back and forth enough to set the timing.

And that "1 tooth off" doesnt mean its really one tooth off. That would be impossible since the distributor shaft needs to engage into the oil pump. If the distributor needs to be repositioned to get the wires to plug into the cap then it can only be accomplished by sticking a long flat blade screwdriver down into the engine where the dizzy goes and manually turn the oil pump slightly so the dizzy shaft engages down into it in its new position.

98_k1500

Reaction score
That or drop the dizzy in until it hits the oil pump shaft, then gently turn the engine with a ratchet until it falls down and engages the oil pump shaft. Keeps you from pulling it 27 times trying to guess where the oil pump shaft needs to be and being off a tooth when you finally get it (been there)

inthechateau

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not tracking what you are working on. Post truck details.

Are you getting any codes? Might need Tech II alignment for cam crank timming association.

munly

Reaction score
Its got nothing to do with the wires being too tight. The distributor needs to be turned slightly more counterclockwise, but it's hitting the hold down bolt. Which is why I want to elongate the hole for the hold down bolt. What do you mean by moving it over one tooth? You mean the distributor or the cam shaft? Wouldn't that require rotating the oil pump too?
It only has to turn a couple of degrees. Any ideas? Thanks again.

98_k1500

Reaction score
You mean the distributor or the cam shaft?

Yes, If you want to do it right, pull the distributor up and move the rotor button 1 tooth clockwise, drop it back in, then turn the engine backwards with a ratchet until the distributor re-aligns with the oil pump and falls in to place. Then it will set correctly in the center of its travel instead of turned as far as it will go.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do NOT elongate the hole like Woody said. That is not the correct way to fix this issue.

Is the DUI dizzy shaped exactly like the OEM one at the collar where it sits down on the intake?

munly

Reaction score
I haven't elongated the hole as of yet. The DUI distributor is same as stock. Any info on getting it set up properly. Thx.