Serpentine belt idler (Vortec 5.7)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my idler the pulley can move slightly side to side (rocking not sliding laterally) but no radial play and not noisy.
Normal or on it's way out?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
On my idler the pulley can move slightly side to side (rocking not sliding laterally) but no radial play and not noisy.
Normal or on it's way out?
Doesn't sound good to me. I'll look at mine in a few minutes and get back to you.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Okay that clarifies it a little. I didn't try to take the belt loose, but with tension on the belt, there's only a very slight amount of play. I changed my Burb's idler pulley last summer, when it started squealing.
If you change it, be careful not to lose the aluminum spacer washer that goes with it. That needs to be reinstalled, the same way that it was on. I'll probably replace the tensioner in the next several months; it seems a little loose to me. No noise from it yet though.
In my experience, the idler/ tensioner start making noise (the bearings); when they wear out. On mine, I heard the noise, suspected what it was, and looked under the hood while it was running. Idler pulley is up top so easy to hear it. Not a problem to replace if you have it available. Just be careful about the washer because it spaces the pulley correctly. And use anti seize on the bolt, since it screws into the aluminum accessory bracket.
You just did a much more difficult job, this one is easy!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay that clarifies it a little. I didn't try to take the belt loose, but with tension on the belt, there's only a very slight amount of play. I changed my Burb's idler pulley last summer, when it started squealing.
If you change it, be careful not to lose the aluminum spacer washer that goes with it. That needs to be reinstalled, the same way that it was on. I'll probably replace the tensioner in the next several months; it seems a little loose to me. No noise from it yet though.
In my experience, the idler/ tensioner start making noise (the bearings); when they wear out. On mine, I heard the noise, suspected what it was, and looked under the hood while it was running. Idler pulley is up top so easy to hear it. Not a problem to replace if you have it available. Just be careful about the washer because it spaces the pulley correctly. And use anti seize on the bolt, since it screws into the aluminum accessory bracket.

Some time I'm ordering from Rock Auto when an idler can ship from the same place as what else I'm ordering I'll add it to the list. Meantimes I'll keep an eye on it. Pity we can't just buy the pulley part.

You just did a much more difficult job, this one is easy!

It was while I was doing that job I noticed....

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The times I've checked this on my different trucks (4.3 & 5.7, but I think also on the 5.3 & 6.0), there's always a little sideplay like you mention. I think I even replaced one on the 4.3, and the new one was the same. I was chasing a squeal IIRC and it turned out to be the belt one that one case.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't know if this link >> https://www.google.com/search?q=ser...2j69i60l2.14841j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
will work, but seems that pulleys can be bought on their own.
Regretting now that I didn't pop it off and check the dimensions - a job for later now it's stopped snowing.

If you can take a pic of the pulley. If its the one in the middle of the motor I believe theres very little front and back play. Not side to side and not up and down. Ask me how I know.....

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused on what you're looking at..... on my engine (454) I have two non-drive pulleys. I believe the 350 is the same. One is the idler, and one is the tensioner.

The idler is basically a pully with a bolt through the middle that mounts directly to an accessory bracket. My original had a sleeve bushing, and the dealer replacement uses a ball bearing. The original failed early, and I have had no problems with the replacement, after many more miles.

The tensioner, is a pulley with a bolt through it, mounted on a spring loaded arm that mounts to the acessory bracket. My original tensioner pulley never really failed, but I was starting to suspect it, as I noticed a bit of movement in the bearing. Upon disassembly I could feel spots of resistance while turning the bearing by hand, so it was a good call to replace it. The replacement pulley has a bit of play in the bearing just like the original high-miles pulley.... maybe even more. I only replaced the tensioner pulley, not the whole tensioner..... both are available. I've read that sometimes the bolt through the tensioner pulley will strip the threads out of the tensioner arm, but I did not have that issue.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apologies to all - very sloppy of me here. It is indeed the tensioner that I'm referring too.

The tensioner, is a pulley with a bolt through it, mounted on a spring loaded arm that mounts to the acessory bracket. My original tensioner pulley never really failed, but I was starting to suspect it, as I noticed a bit of movement in the bearing. Upon disassembly I could feel spots of resistance while turning the bearing by hand, so it was a good call to replace it. The replacement pulley has a bit of play in the bearing just like the original high-miles pulley.... maybe even more. I only replaced the tensioner pulley, not the whole tensioner..... both are available. I've read that sometimes the bolt through the tensioner pulley will strip the threads out of the tensioner arm, but I did not have that issue.

Mine is as above but without rough spots (yet!). No radial or lateral play just that wobbly sort of play - that appears to be a feature from new.

When I have a moment I'm going to measure the pulley part and see if I can source that on its own in the UK. There's probably a catalogue of them on-line with standardised sizes.