Screwed Up The Cooling Bottle Securing Threads...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last night when I was finishing up routing my new antenna cable in the dash, I had my younger brother screw the coolant overflow tank back to the firewall.

Apparently, he crossthreaded the bolt on the left, and in the process, managed to break the area behind the firewall where the threaded section is. The bolt just spins, along with the threads in the firewall.

You must be registered for see images attach

How do I go about fixing this?

I want to replace the coolant bottle with a nice shiny new one, and now I can't tighten or remove the bolt.

Is there access from under the dash to get to this, or am I basically screwed? I really hate the thought of having to R&R my entire dash to fix this.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I did the same thing. It is still like that. However if your replacing the bottle, cut the thing out, then vice grip the bolt head, and get a sawzall or a grinding disc behind it.
I just left mine lol.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
yeah i agree with vise grips. that was a bad idea that gm had to use the speed nuts, like in the inner fenders etc, imo