Scatter shield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcjjones

Reaction score
I'm making about 500rwhp. I have an AR5 transmission from Colorado swapped in using a Fabbot adapter plate. I'm very happy with the trans. I added a Core short throw shifter as well. That being said I ordrered a stage 4 clutch from Fabbot. It is rated for 750whp. So its definitely overkill but it was 20 bucks more so I went that route. He also sold me a cast flywheel with the kit. He said he has used this kit in many high hp applications with no concerns or issues. I trust him, but I also like my feet and legs.

Anyone ever use one of those Kevlar scatter shield belts? Or, anyone ever fab up a scatter shield?

This is a street truck, that I never take to the track and I also never do hard launches. Very little to no traction as it is.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you spinning this thing to 7000+ RPM?

RPM is typically what scatters a flywheel, not torque.

Tell us more.

"Horsepower" is simply the product of RPM and torque scaled appropriately, so it alone doesn't tell the tale.

Last edited:

bcjjones

Reaction score
No sir. Rpm limiter is set to 6,000.

I understand hp is calculated based on torque. I just don’t believe most people realize it so I just speak in HP numbers.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No sir. Rpm limiter is set to 6,000.

I understand hp is calculated based on torque. I just don’t believe most people realize it so I just speak in HP numbers.

That just confuses the matter. If others are confused, well, their comments might not be worth so much anyway.

I do appreciate your concern for not getting your legs amputated by shrapnel.

So what's the maximum operational RPM for that clutch assy and cast flywheel, do the mfgr(s) provide a spec?

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're assuming 500rwhp, I'll add 20% and figure 600hp at the flywheel. Assuming you make peak HP at 5500RPM, this "numbers exercise" suggests you're making ~575 flywheel torque.

You running a big block or Pontiac 455 in that ride?

bcjjones

Reaction score
If you're assuming 500rwhp, I'll add 20% and figure 600hp at the flywheel. Assuming you make peak HP at 5500RPM, this "numbers exercise" suggests you're making ~575 flywheel torque.

You running a big block or Pontiac 455 in that ride?
It’s a supercharged 383 small block. Weiand 177 running 6psi. Fully forged, aluminum heads, hydraulic roller. No dyno numbers but I’d say around 475-500 at the wheels.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have never built my own scatter shield.
But I did play a part in the development of the first bomb proof seat brackets and firewall armour for the Humvee.
What we discovered after a whole lot of testing is that the "tunnel cover" needs to be formed and bent from one piece and not welded.
The welded ones blew open at the welds.
The formed ones didnt.
But, the formed plate lifted completetly off of its mounts and deflected shrapnel off of the firewall and back into the cab.
So it bacame all about sending that back through the firewall instead of it going into the cab
And keeping that plate from lifting off and hitting everybody inside the cab.
We nailed it. We made the best possible protection for a Humvee.
We blew them up, we shot them with a BMG 50
I still have 1500 rounds left of 7.62x39 that I bought just to swiss cheese that thing while we filmed the ricochets in the cab
We were very proud of it.
And, after two years of R&D and a whole whack load of money.
They decided it was too expensive.
Our per unit cost was 2400 bucks for the first 100 and 1800 bucks for the next 300.
Over a ten year supply contract.
Chump change.
We really thought we were doing all of it for the nation.
Nope.
Its just cheaper to let kids get blown up amd loose their legs.
And that is my rant for Today.
Sorry folks.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a supercharged 383 small block. Weiand 177 running 6psi. Fully forged, aluminum heads, hydraulic roller. No dyno numbers but I’d say around 475-500 at the wheels.

I was hoping you would say Pontiac 455. Now that would be different. But I do respect superchargers. What's a Weiand 177... at 2.5-71? Somewhere I've got a picture of my wife cleaning the inside of the case of a 14-71... now that's a supercharger.

Anyway, if the mfgrs give max RPM specs, that is where I think you should focus. If the specs are too low RPM-wise, I would consider better parts. But that's just me.

Last edited:

bcjjones

Reaction score
I was hoping you would say Pontiac 455. Now that would be different. But I do respect superchargers. What's a Weiand 177... at 2.5-71? Somewhere I've got a picture of my wife cleaning the inside of the case of a 14-71... now that's a supercharger.

Anyway, if the mfgrs give max RPM specs, that is where I think you should focus. If the specs are too low RPM-wise, I would consider better parts. But that's just me.
Nothing that cool! The 177 is one of there smaller blowers.

Unfortunately no max rpm specs. I wish there was some info like that. Nothing available though.