Sas question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been reading everyones sas threads and more around the internet. Some of these threads get very confusing. Just trying to clarify up some things that i may or may not have read already. Excuse the ignorance.

Ok first of my truck
1999 chevy k3500 srw short bed 4x4 6" pro comp on 36x15.50

Ok npw you know my truck i wanna do a sas on it. Already has floor shift tcase. So dont need to change that correct. Would need a late 70's ford f250/350 front axle to work with my tcase drom my understanding.

Now on that axle. Are they 8 lug ? Auto hubs? Do i have to buy all chevy knuckles and hubs or can i use what comes on it. Can i keep auto hubs. Im confused by thia part

The rear end im underatanding that i have a 1ton rear end. Not sure ff 10b whatever not excatly aure what that means . I dont need to get a new rear end seeing mine is massive correct?. And to lift rear end i can use stock springs and just shackle flip and possible block?

Another thing. Sorry guys. Spring pads? Is that how wide apart the springs sit on the axles?. Whats the differents in lenghts on the leaf springs . Do i have to buy actual lift springs or can i find some stock ones from a older truck to lift it??

Prerty much my understanding of my truck ao far for a sas is ill need a sas bracket kit. 77-79 d60. Springs from that year or lift springs. Steering crossover. Rear shackle flip kit. Missing small stuf.. Am i close??

Like i said excuse the ignorance. Everyones trucks different and these threads are so cluttered i ger lost.

Thanks for your patience if anyone responds.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok npw you know my truck i wanna do a sas on it. Already has floor shift tcase. So dont need to change that correct. Would need a late 70's ford f250/350 front axle to work with my tcase drom my understanding.
A ford axle is what you will need the the diff housing on the drivers side. The late 70's axles are more desiriable with the 32" spring pad width but the later 36" axles will work, just may have clearance issues with large tires.

Now on that axle. Are they 8 lug ? Auto hubs? Do i have to buy all chevy knuckles and hubs or can i use what comes on it. Can i keep auto hubs. Im confused by thia part
The D44 from a f250 and D60 from f350 will both be 8 lug. No need to swap to chevy knuckle as the 8lugs are the same pattern (atleast the earlier ones are, not sure what year ford changed from 8 x6.5)

The rear end im underatanding that i have a 1ton rear end. Not sure ff 10b whatever not excatly aure what that means . I dont need to get a new rear end seeing mine is massive correct?. And to lift rear end i can use stock springs and just shackle flip and possible block?
You will have a 10.5" 14 bolt FF rear axle, great axle, keep it. Shackle flip, blocks or add a leafs are all ways to lift the rear.

Another thing. Sorry guys. Spring pads? Is that how wide apart the springs sit on the axles?. Whats the differents in lenghts on the leaf springs . Do i have to buy actual lift springs or can i find some stock ones from a older truck to lift it??
Spring pads are where the springs sit on the axle. The longer leaf springs will be softer for better ride and also more lift. You can run the rear springs from any oobs gm truck or k5 blazer. They are 52" long and will net around 4-5" lift

Prerty much my understanding of my truck ao far for a sas is ill need a sas bracket kit. 77-79 d60. Springs from that year or lift springs. Steering crossover. Rear shackle flip kit. Missing small stuf.. Am i close??
Thats the basics for what you need, dont forget a front drive shaft. Theres alot of little things to be needed too.

Last edited:

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
The D44 from a f250 and D60 from f350 will both be 8 lug. No need to swap to chevy knuckle as the 8lugs are the same pattern (atleast the earlier ones are, not sure what year ford changed from 8 x6.5)

f250 also had the d60 available in the snow fighter package

since you already have a 1 ton truck you do not want to go backwards and use a weak 3/4 ton dana 44, you want a 1977.5-79 ford dana 60 front

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
You can go up to 97 on ford 8 lugs. they are all the same lug pattern, just different spring pad widths. Also. the E350 vans are 8x6.5 also. I have a 91 F350 axle in my truck

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can go up to 97 on ford 8 lugs. they are all the same lug pattern, just different spring pad widths. Also. the E350 vans are 8x6.5 also. I have a 91 F350 axle in my truck

Is that driver side drop or passenger

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok i thought so

So pretty much i was on the right track with everything. Just gotta figure out he small stuff ill need. The front driveshaft i have wont work with the new axle?.

Wish i could find a list of all this lol. I know ita out there.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
ive considered this SAS myself dont feel confused i think its overwhelming myself my plan is to buy one already swapped and get the aadvice from the members here b4 buying wether its junk or not Good luck with the swap ill be watching

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will also need to figure out what bracket/spring perches you want to use. Offroad design make's a nice kit, if you plan on running your current wheel's and tire's i would deffinetly try and stick to a 32" spring pad width if all possible. It sound's like your on the right track and this is a good site for help with the subject.