Rusted Thermostat Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2s9je0af

Reaction score
K1500 5.7
PO apparently ran tap water in system for 6 months rather than replace blistered heater core hose... :(. Went to change thermostat and found what was left (just the little top "hat" looking part). I guess the rest of the thermostat dissolved? Radiator is pretty orange inside (assuming it won't cool well and is destroyed?).

I guess what I am asking is: where should I go fishing for bits of thermostat? Is it likely to have broken up and clogged anything?

I plan to replace the water pump, thermostat, and likely the radiator. I also am not sure what radiator to buy (my radiator is the V02 HD radiator with oil/trans cooler). Did the tap water shorten the lifespan of my gaskets, freeze plugs?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back flush the radiator. since that's the direction of flow, might be able to get it out. Same with the motor. Fill it block with water and start it up, makes mess but will get the old water out.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a dealership technician intern, I asked, "Where do we get distilled water?"

"Take this magic wrench and wave it over that tap and ask for distilled water before you turn it on."

We never had issues with tap water at the dealership, and to this day I use tap water. I would guess that if your tap water leans too far on the pH spectrum you'll have trouble, so if you can get some litmus paper to check, that would be ideal.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Thermostats are stainless steel and brass. They don't corrode. Wild Guess: The prior owner gutted a thermostat deliberately to "solve" an overheating problem.

2. The engine block has a drain plug hole on each side. One side will likely have an iron/steel plug, the other side might have a knock sensor screwed into the hole. Remove BOTH to drain the contaminated coolant, and later the contaminated flush-water, from the block. Sometimes the drain holes are covered with a "crust" of sediment, you may have to poke a screwdriver into the hole to break the crust. On MY vehicles, I scrap the iron plug in favor of a brass plug, or a brass draincock. The knock sensor goes in with sealant on the threads, and it's torqued into place using the factory spec for tightness, or it doesn't work properly.

3. Might as well order a new radiator. You may need a new heater core. Consider new upper and lower rad hoses, and new heater hoses--clearly the prior owner wasn't interested in maintenance. You can try to salvage what you have, of course. Back-flush a few times, fill with clean water, drive it for a few days, drain it all again. Draining the block directly makes a big difference in how fast the system gets "cleaned-up". If you're only draining the radiator, you'll be flushing and draining for two weeks. And there's various chemicals and compressed-air-and-water flushing tools. "Good luck". I figure the previous owner gutted the thermostat because the radiator was already in trouble.
www.thexton.com/heater-core-back-flush-tool-with-assist-p-115.html

4. There's "Flush and Fill Kits" available that work pretty well--but you STILL NEED TO DRAIN THE BLOCK at least once, and probably more than that. Note that I don't like the included clamps--you need clamps that don't have a zillion holes in them that the rubber extrudes through. Spring clamps, or shielded clamps work better.
www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF-KIT-Flush-Fill-Kit/dp/B000CCFY5W/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=Flush+and+fill&qid=1634419264&sr=8-21
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

5. A radiator fill funnel like this makes the job way more pleasant. Less mess, too--because the radiator can burp air into the funnel without making a coolant mess on the ground.
www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Lisle+no-spill+radiator+funnel&qid=1634419571&sr=8-5

6. If I'm right about the previous owner, and the overheating, you'll do well to verify the fan and fan clutch, radiator shroud and air ducting, the seal at the rear of the hood, ignition timing/advance, brake drag--ANYTHING that could contribute to overheating.

7. I flush with tap water--of course. And then drain the radiator AND the block on any engine that has block drains (some Buicks don't. Idiots.) But when it comes to mixing anti-freeze and water, I always use distilled. I have no idea how the various chemicals and additives in "antifreeze" will interact with flouride, chlorine, and whatever else they're poisoning us with in "tap water".

Last edited:

2s9je0af

Reaction score
1. Thermostats are stainless steel and brass. They don't corrode. Wild Guess: The prior owner gutted a thermostat deliberately to "solve" an overheating problem.

2. The engine block has a drain plug hole on each side. One side will likely have an iron/steel plug, the other side might have a knock sensor screwed into the hole. Remove BOTH to drain the contaminated coolant, and later the contaminated flush-water, from the block. Sometimes the drain holes are covered with a "crust" of sediment, you may have to poke a screwdriver into the hole to break the crust. On MY vehicles, I scrap the iron plug in favor of a brass plug, or a brass draincock. The knock sensor goes in with sealant on the threads, and it's torqued into place using the factory spec for tightness, or it doesn't work properly.

3. Might as well order a new radiator. You may need a new heater core. Consider new upper and lower rad hoses, and new heater hoses--clearly the prior owner wasn't interested in maintenance. You can try to salvage what you have, of course. Back-flush a few times, fill with clean water, drive it for a few days, drain it all again. Draining the block directly makes a big difference in how fast the system gets "cleaned-up". If you're only draining the radiator, you'll be flushing and draining for two weeks. And there's various chemicals and compressed-air-and-water flushing tools. "Good luck". I figure the previous owner gutted the thermostat because the radiator was already in trouble.
www.thexton.com/heater-core-back-flush-tool-with-assist-p-115.html

4. There's "Flush and Fill Kits" available that work pretty well--but you STILL NEED TO DRAIN THE BLOCK at least once, and probably more than that. Note that I don't like the included clamps--you need clamps that don't have a zillion holes in them that the rubber extrudes through. Spring clamps, or shielded clamps work better.
www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF-KIT-Flush-Fill-Kit/dp/B000CCFY5W/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=Flush+and+fill&qid=1634419264&sr=8-21

5. A radiator fill funnel like this makes the job way more pleasant. Less mess, too--because the radiator can burp air into the funnel without making a coolant mess on the ground.
www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Lisle+no-spill+radiator+funnel&qid=1634419571&sr=8-5

6. If I'm right about the previous owner, and the overheating, you'll do well to verify the fan and fan clutch, radiator shroud and air ducting, the seal at the rear of the hood, ignition timing/advance, brake drag--ANYTHING that could contribute to overheating.

7. I flush with tap water--of course. And then drain the radiator AND the block on any engine that has block drains (some Buicks don't. Idiots.) But when it comes to mixing anti-freeze and water, I always use distilled. I have no idea how the various chemicals and additives in "antifreeze" will interact with flouride, chlorine, and whatever else they're poisoning us with in "tap water".
You are correct about the thermostat... snipped off with pliers to "solve" the overheating problem.

It's ok because I am not doing diddly now that I snapped the pewter heater core hose fitting off in the intake. :(

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I snapped the pewter heater core hose fitting off in the intake.
The Dorman replacement for the female heater quick-connect is--surprisingly--enormously better than the OEM. The one on my truck is 20 years old and still looks like new.

For ****'s sake, don't install an unrestriced barbed fitting.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Lisle funnel. Absolutely awesome for coolant work. It's especially effective on vehicles that are hard to bleed if you jack the front end up a foot in the air.

2s9je0af

Reaction score
Update: flushing radiator and block with chemical flush then lots of tap water (not running just opening all hoses/plugs), I now am at comfy 192F with a 195F thermostat.