Rust fixing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
What is the process of removing rust?
I have it on both of my rocker panels(below doors), on the bottom of my driver side door, on the panels for the external cab(lower portion on both sides) and some along the top edge of my windshield.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
I would like to fix all that I can and then take it to a body shop for whatever remains to save $$$.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
order replacements for below doors and rockers from either LMC or latemodelrestoration.com and ya just cut the old out and weldthe new in, bondo, prime and paint. as for above the windsheild i've yet to find a replacement for it..I have the same problem and will see what the shop says.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's only 1 fix for pitted or rusted thru rust and that is to cut it out and replace it.
Replacement panel can be had at very reasonable prices but having the old removed
and the new welded in can get very pricey if you don't have the welding skills to do the
work yourself so if the work is beyond your skill level be prepared to hand over some cash
to have it done correctly.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the holes in my windshield frame I just made a few patch panels out of flat sheet and burned them in. They do sell a complete replacement top skin through GM but its $$$$.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If one were to take it to a bodyshop, providing we had already purchased the replacement peices, do you think it would be cheaper? Or would they just make their own custom replacements?

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shop would probably just order the replacement panels. Its a big pain in the ass and is time consuming to make the patches.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
For the holes in my windshield frame I just made a few patch panels out of flat sheet and burned them in. They do sell a complete replacement top skin through GM but its $$$$.
Did you have to pull the windshield or just throw a welding blanket over it? Any pics of the process?

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Did you have to pull the windshield or just throw a welding blanket over it? Any pics of the process?

If you have rust above your windshield, chances are it originated from the pinchweld underneath the glass. Either from moisture, or a glass guy gouging out the urethane (and scratching paint and primer from the metal) during a windshield replacement. Pull the shield and get to the source.