Runs fine, Rough idle and stall at start up, every start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjhooker66

Reaction score
95 k2500 Cheyenne 5.0 tbi automatic
Every start up, it idles rough and will actually stall and die, rpm jump up and down a few hundred, if I give it some gas for a minute it'll idle just fine, if I was to start up and let it run for a minute or two just by itself and put it in gear it'll do the same thing and stall.
If I drive it around get it up to temp etc. It'll run just fine.
Here's the part I'm struggling with...
If I drive it till it's running fine and warmed up. Then let's say park in my driveway. Turn it off. And immediately start it back up. It'll start to whole rough idle stalling thing again it's like a 5 minute process to get it running with out wanting to stall. But ONLY after it's started regardless of temp.
Only ate start up.....EVERY start up...
Thoughts?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're running rich in closed loop, but without any investigation that's just an educated guess. Have you done a tune-up recently? If not, start there, then get a scan tool hooked up to it to verify if it's running rich.

EDIT: Doh! I think I confused closed loop and open loop. I'm referring to it running rich when the ECU's running off tables instead of reading the O2 sensor.

Last edited:

tjhooker66

Reaction score
I personally haven't done a tune up on it. I've had the truck for about 6 months and it's always ran fine. I will do a tune up and report back

tjhooker66

Reaction score
Somewhat, I've for through and changed all the sensors, it always will start, I just have to help it idle for a couple minutes and then everything is fine. It's definitely running rich especially at start up.
Rebuilding and cleaning the tbi is the next project