RPM Increases, Truck Wont Budge!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aking284

Reaction score
No movement in any gear is usually pump failure (rotor breaks up, etc), input shaft splines stripped, total torque converter failure or transfer case failure (4wd only).

Check your fluid level when engine's off...if it's way above the full mark and doesnt drop when you fire it up and check again, its pump.
I didnt see any metal pieces or anything that looked abnormal in the fluid when I removed the pan?
Also, my code reader has been throwing a code saying the 02 sensor is out/faulty, that couldnt maybe have anything to do with it huh? Thank you!

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt see any metal pieces or anything that looked abnormal in the fluid when I removed the pan?
Also, my code reader has been throwing a code saying the 02 sensor is out/faulty, that couldnt maybe have anything to do with it huh? Thank you!
O2 sensor will not cause it not to move.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pump is a self-contained unit that would have to blow up for pieces to appear in the fluid or at the bottom of the pan. The pump rotor is what breaks apart, usually due to excessive clearance between rotor/slide and working surfaces on the two pump halves (see pic below to get a better understanding of what a 4L60E pump looks like inside).
You must be registered for see images attach

If your driveline is unremarkable looking (ie no obvious signs of major u joint or spline damage and same with rear end/diff), and you have a 2WD (or a 4x4 but with o evidence of tcase damage), your trans needs to come out. I would have checked your fluid levels like i recommended to be sure but obviously your call on that.

aking284

Reaction score
2WD or 4WD?

The weak rear axle in most 1500 trucks is known for failure.

If I were guessing--and I am--I'm saying this is a 4WD and the transfer case is in neutral, either by bumping the shift lever, or the thing just pops out of engagement under load like mine used to do.
2WD