Rotors and brakes opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Measure, and see.

I would be very reluctant to toss otherwise-usable OEM (?) rotors in favor of the current crop of Chinese knockoffs. Even "experienced" Chinese rotors IN GOOD CONDITION are more trustworthy than new Chinese rotors--the used ones have already been heat-cycled a bazillion times and are therefore less-likely to warp.

But the used rotors have to be de-rusted particularly on the mounting surfaces.
I’ll trying to find a shop and see what they measure. I’ve been keeping everything ac delco professional or an oem equivalent. Summit racing had some ac delco for like 40 I think

Check out this page from Summit Racing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-18a258ac

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. The outside rim is the virgin metal of the rotor, un-worn by the pad. But that lip can be exaggerated by the rust scale that "grows" on it.

Point is, the bigger the "lip" the less-likely the rotors will measure OK.
I’m understanding more now. That makes sense I’ll try and find a shop and I’ll try to get a look at them again tomorrow.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That link is for ACDelco's "Advantage" line--the low-priced spread.
It wasn't 40$ but I cant find it any that fit a 6 lug pattern but those so i guess i will have to find some others what brands do you like? also
here was the caliper i was looking at.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've had a couple sets of Raybestos R-line rotors that I've been happy with. I put them on my truck and my Saturn. If I were buying rotors now, I'd buy coated rotors, but otherwise I'd probably probably buy the R-line rotors again.

I've never had an issue with cheap pads. They're better than worn out pads of the highest quality. While the existing pads look to be in decent condition, I probably wouldn't put them on new rotors.

I'm curious how deep the surface of the rotor has been worn.... it looks like it's approaching a 1/4", but that would be unusual, in my experience.

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a couple sets of Raybestos R-line rotors that I've been happy with. I put them on my truck and my Saturn. If I were buying rotors now, I'd buy coated rotors, but otherwise I'd probably probably buy the R-line rotors again.

I've never had an issue with cheap pads. They're better than worn out pads of the highest quality. While the existing pads look to be in decent condition, I probably wouldn't put them on new rotors.

I'm curious how deep the surface of the rotor has been worn.... it looks like it's approaching a 1/4", but that would be unusual, in my experience.
the R-line is not coated? do they make coated ones? someone has mentioned raybestos before

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what brands do you like?
None of them. They're pretty-much all Communist Crap. Which is why I tend to "save" rotors if I can.

'Course, when saving existing rotors is not realistic, I buy the "best of the worst". Known brand-names, none of the freaky Amazon string-six-letters-together "brand names".

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
the R-line is not coated? do they make coated ones? someone has mentioned raybestos before

Raybestos has coated rotors, but the R-line isn't coated, unless that's available now.... I bought these rotors several years ago, and at that time they were plain iron. Plain iron isn't terrible, as that's been the standard for decades. It's just that the coating keeps them looking nice for longer, instead of the non-braking surface areas rusting up.

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of them. They're pretty-much all Communist Crap. Which is why I tend to "save" rotors if I can.

'Course, when saving existing rotors is not realistic, I buy the "best of the worst". Known brand-names, none of the freaky Amazon string-six-letters-together "brand names".
then yea I probably will try to find shop before I make a final decision on the rotors then