roller rockers,cam,and lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68post

Reaction score
well from what I hear, no more cam and lifters wear out with rollers.

True - and that has to do with not having to worry if your oil has enough EP additive, also less friction, better mileage, and more performance for a given duration (more lift is also possible - per the given duration). You can find the used roller parts for cheap, and you can reuse roller lifters when they are of reasonable mileage.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
True - and that has to do with not having to worry if your oil has enough EP additive, also less friction, better mileage, and more performance for a given duration (more lift is also possible - per the given duration). You can find the used roller parts for cheap, and you can reuse roller lifters when they are of reasonable mileage.

To expound on these good points...

-also don't have to worry about ZDDP additives in motor oil
-also no dedicated break in session(s)

From scratch, it makes sense to 'go roller'. I wouldn't use any lifters over again unless they were going back in the same lifter bores.

Just watch out for cheap cast iron stock roller cams, they'll wipe or shear before you can bat an eye.

68post

Reaction score
I wouldn't use any lifters over again unless they were going back in the same lifter bores.

You don't have to worry about lifters and blocks having a wear pattern, it's not the same as a lifter to cam lobe wear pattern. Unless your block has lifter bore problems. No lifter is safe in a bad block.

You can polish lifters , and you can hone or polish lifter bores (all it takes is a quick light touch).

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
You don't have to worry about lifters and blocks having a wear pattern, it's not the same as a lifter to cam lobe wear pattern. Unless your block has lifter bore problems. No lifter is safe in a bad block.

You can polish lifters , and you can hone or polish lifter bores (all it takes is a quick light touch).

While I don't disagree with you, it is still not the most optimal means to build up an sbc, or any other OHV engine for that matter. Having witnessed engine failure due to lifters not going back in to their respective bores, it isn't something I'd make a practice of. Am I applying a blanket rule to something that could have been avoided? Yes. But we're all superstitious a little, aren't we? :D

68post

Reaction score
Having witnessed engine failure due to lifters not going back in to their respective bores:D

That failure was with roller lifters ?
A definate No No with a flat tappet cam for sure because of the lifter to lobe wear pattern and regular used lifter wear, but I've never heard this about reusing good roller lifters.
I only mentioned being able to reuse roller lifters because a cost issue of roller cams versus flat tappet cams was brought up, there's alot to be saved by reusing some factory roller hardware ( even possible to retrofit new roller hardware ( '88 & up) into older sbc's and save $$ ).

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
That failure was with roller lifters ?

Yessir. Slapped together and hammered on, after I suggested at least running a 2200-2500 rpm 15 minute break-in with good oil and trying to let things jive before putting them to work.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always hear ppl talk about making sure they go in the right holes, and all that, well I try to.

truth is before I knew that much about it I reused many, NEVER putting them back in the right places, using tyhem in another motor, or another cam, or even same cam same motor.

NEVER had a problem with them, not once.

It is good practice to keep them in order if you plan to reuse anything.