Riveting VS welding Cab corners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
I have to replace the cab corners on my Z71 (extended cab) and im contemplating between riveting them or welding them on. pros/cons of each? any help appreciated

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to replace the cab corners on my Z71 (extended cab) and im contemplating between riveting them or welding them on. pros/cons of each? any help appreciated

Why would you even consider riviting them on? Either Weld them or use body panel adheasive.

Sent from somewhere in MN

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know what, that is a good question. guess im just having one of them blonde days. and body panel adheasive?

I guess there is a body panel adhesive that can be used that's supposed to be as strong as a weld but IMO i would just weld it

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
I guess there is a body panel adhesive that can be used that's supposed to be as strong as a weld but IMO i would just weld it

yea, dont think adhesive would hold up as strong as a weld. f*ck it, just gonna weld er. i was tryin to save some time cause i need my truck done soon, but i guess ill have to wait a bit longer.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea, dont think adhesive would hold up as strong as a weld. f*ck it, just gonna weld er. i was tryin to save some time cause i need my truck done soon, but i guess ill have to wait a bit longer.

There really is no way to correctly save time when doing body work other that doing it right the first time.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Panel adhesive is just as good as a weld if done properly, in some cases better because there's no heat to warp metal or destroy anti-rust coatings.

But adhesive is usually used to assemble panels (ie: bed sides, etc), not splice pieces in.

You might get away with it in something like a floor panel since you can hide the panel edges.

Cab corners are best mig/tig welded due to the nature of the patch.

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a body shop around my area.. A reputable one- That swears by PL premium adhesive for body panel replacement. The guy in there told me a while ago about it as he often uses it for cab corners to save customers a few dollars.. There is a actually a few trucks around here whose replaced panels have outlasted the trucks :p

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
A body shop had replaced a 1/4 panel on a friends car with the adhesive, imo id weld it and get it done right the first time, i changed both cab corners on my old sonoma in a day, by the time of removing bed, cutting out, cleaning the edges up, welding in, smoothing welds, bondo, sanding, primering, and reinstalling the bed it took 2 days