Ribbon temp guage stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fleet89TBI

Reaction score
My 89 has ribbon guages, and the temp guage has never worked since I bought it. It's stuck pinned all the way past hot. When you smack the dash it moves back some but pops back so I know it isn't stuck. But it doesn't seem to point to any sensor fault. Any guesses?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 89 has ribbon guages, and the temp guage has never worked since I bought it. It's stuck pinned all the way past hot. When you smack the dash it moves back some but pops back so I know it isn't stuck. But it doesn't seem to point to any sensor fault. Any guesses?
If it's pegged that usually means it, your sensor, or wire is grounded somewhere. That wire goes to the sensor between cylinders 1 & 3 on the driver's side head, Try disconnecting the wire there and see what the gauge does.

Edit: Your gauges are commonly referred to as "Moonie" gauges :biggrin:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you smack the dash...
"I'll take 'Things That Make Me Cringe' for $500, Alex." That's a sure-fire way to develop five more intermittent problems. Now that you know that smacking the dash has that effect, please don't do it any more.

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's pegged that usually means it, your sensor, or wire is grounded somewhere. That wire goes to the sensor between cylinders 1 & 3 on the driver's side head, Try disconnecting the wire there and see what the gauge does.

Edit: Your gauges are commonly referred to as "Moonie" gauges :biggrin:

My '89 has a stuck gauge, registering "full hot" to the right. Disconnecting the wire from the sensor does nothing.

Disconnecting the battery does nothing. I don't understand how this is a grounding issue when there's no available live circuits anywhere.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '89 has a stuck gauge, registering "full hot" to the right. Disconnecting the wire from the sensor does nothing.

Disconnecting the battery does nothing.
Then you probably have a "stuck gauge". The Moonies are pretty much past their prime.