Rewiring stock horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright for sometime now my horns not worked, well it works just when i push the airbag it doesnt sound, is there anyway to rewire the horn to a button so i just push the button for it to sound, i know people are probably saying why not just pull the bag and fix it, bc ive pulled the bag and tried messing with it and it worked for a bit only if i put full pressure on the bag pushing it for the horn to sound, so im just wanting to see if i can rewire the horn to a button.

has anyone done this or know how to or what would be involved other then tracing the wires and running them to a button?

sidenote to this does anyone know where to pickup a good sounding semi 18 wheeler truck horn at? if i could get that id run one of them and maybe install a pullstring and just go away with the original horn.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
as far as using a button that's not prob that's what I did with my Camaro just run the wires from the horn to your button and your good to go.... as far as the truck horn goes then you'd be looking at getting an onboard air system to run it

Sent from my static android

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
as far as using a button that's not prob that's what I did with my Camaro just run the wires from the horn to your button and your good to go.... as far as the truck horn goes then you'd be looking at getting an onboard air system to run it

Sent from my static android

so basically i trace the wires from the horn itself and snip the negative one where it comes to the steering wheel (or can i just pull it out) and run the wires to a button?

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
instead of making a new thread ill just add to this! anyone know if the hazard switch piece that slides into the top of the column grounds out the horn or anything??

Reason i ask is bc my horn doesnt work if i push the airbag (its a 1995) and thanks to airmanskee and his hazard switch thread i went out and pulled mine to see if i could just replace that and as i pulled it out when it was in a certain position the horn would go off without even pushing the bag, i kept putting the piece in and out and at a certain place the horn would sound, but at no point if i pushed the bag would it sound.......any ideas? im gonna replace the hazard piece bc mine is broke but i wouldnt think that that would fix the horn

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Shouldn't:

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/wiringdiagrams/1995 GMC Yukon/Fig 27 Horn Circuit.pdf

That's a yukon, by same "s" different pile.

All your horn button does is supply a ground to the Horn relay to activate the coil and close the relay.

If I was a betting man, I'd say you have some chaffed or broken wires in the column and that's providing ground to your horn circuit somehow.

Maybe pop the bottom trim off and have a looky see....

Last edited:

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't:

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/wiringdiagrams/1995 GMC Yukon/Fig 27 Horn Circuit.pdf

That's a yukon, by same "s" different pile.

All your horn button does is supply a ground to the Horn relay to activate the coil and close the relay.

If I was a betting man, I'd say you have some chaffed or broken wires in the column and that's providing ground to your horn circuit somehow.

Maybe pop the bottom trim off and have a looky see....

well the thing is is i was messing around a while back seeing how hard it was to remove the multi function switch bc i thought i had to replace it and ever since then it hasnt works, idk if i screwed something up or what but my buddy and i pulled the airbag and still couldnt figure it out.....may have to have the shop mess with it

Steve83

Reaction score
Have you looked up this wiring at the link in Alouicious's thread in the wiring diagrams subforum? IDK if he has '95, but he probably has a year whose horn wiring is at least similar.

Looks like his truck diagrams don't include the horn, but the Yukon set does.
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/wiringdiagrams/1995.html

If the truck is the same, the horn trigger shouldn't be affected by the hazard switch in any way.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Have you looked up this wiring at the link in Alouicious's thread in the wiring diagrams subforum? IDK if he has '95, but he probably has a year whose horn wiring is at least similar.

That's the link posted above...

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
replaced multifunction switch and it fixed the problem, there is a little prong on the switch and it pushes the little horn stem piece in and works, what it was doing on the old one was getting stuck.