reviving old carpet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How to revive old matted down carpet. All I can think of is a brush with hot soapy water. I don't have a carpet cleaner but is there and around the house tools I could use to fluff it back up??

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I used 2 cans of Resolve carpet cleaner, a stiff bristled brush, and a vacuum with a brush attachment to scrub and vacuum at the same time.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
pull carpet, get bucket of hat water and soap and dump it on there let it soak and scrub the piss out of it with a soft but firm brush, take shop vac and clean till your sick of cleaning then clean some more, you can use resolve, simple green works amazingly or anything in between. basically soap and hot water and lots of man power.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used orange blast and resolve mixed. Orange blast is a degreaser and my truck was a work truck and had grease in he carpet. Night and day and I left it in the truck. I agree that if you have the time to remove the carpet then do that. But what I did worked great without removing. Orange blast can be bought at lowes. Its cheap too.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Remove seats, seat belts, trim and carpet. If the seat belt bolts are stubborn, and you live in the rust belt area, I would go under the truck and cut the thread off flush with the nut that is welded to the floor. You can apply a bit of heat with a small propane torch if you have help to do that while you try to remove the bolts.

Hang the carpet on the hooks for floor mats in your local car wash and take the high pressure wand to it, you will be amazed at how much dirt comes out. You will spend 10-15 bucks to wash it all out, wet it all down first, and very slowly wash from top to bottom, with the wand held at a downward angle.

Once it's as clean as it gets, you must let the carpet dry for a few days, best to do this in the middle of summer when you can hang it outside. When it's dry, vacuum it as much as you can, and hit it with an air hose to dislodge loose particles. It should look like new after that.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Remove seats, seat belts, trim and carpet. If the seat belt bolts are stubborn, and you live in the rust belt area, I would go under the truck and cut the thread off flush with the nut that is welded to the floor. You can apply a bit of heat with a small propane torch if you have help to do that while you try to remove the bolts.

Hang the carpet on the hooks for floor mats in your local car wash and take the high pressure wand to it, you will be amazed at how much dirt comes out. You will spend 10-15 bucks to wash it all out, wet it all down first, and very slowly wash from top to bottom, with the wand held at a downward angle.

Once it's as clean as it gets, you must let the carpet dry for a few days, best to do this in the middle of summer when you can hang it outside. When it's dry, vacuum it as much as you can, and hit it with an air hose to dislodge loose particles. It should look like new after that.

Did exaclty this to mine 2 years ago after submerging my truck in a creek. Took it over a week to dry in the middle of the summer here in Mississippi. It looked brand new when i got thru. Need to do it again.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score

This^. I hang mine over my chain link fence and go at it with my power washer. Just about any time I buy a "well seasoned" used vehicle, I gut the interior for a thorough cleansing and exorcism. While those seat belts are out, pull them fully out of the retractor and put a huge needle through to hold the belt out of the retractor. I fill up a bucket of water and Purple Stuff cleaner and soak all the belts. Set a step stool beside the bucket and rest the retractors on it. Stir the bucket a couple of times as it soaks. What comes out of them will sicken you.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I open both doors & starting from one side to the other, I'll use a blow gun with the tip right into the carpet, in a grid pattern, & blow the dirt out of the carpet out the opposite door. Make sure no one is standing there! They'll get their eyes, ears, nose & throat filled!
Do this before you wash the carpet. All that dry dirt in the carpet + water = mud. Much harder to clean out!
To speed up the drying process, once again, use the air gun to blow out a lot of the water before you set them out to completely dry.
I'll use the blow gun to get out the dry loose dirt deep down in the carpet fiber before just vacuuming too.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I open both doors & starting from one side to the other, I'll use a blow gun with the tip right into the carpet, in a grid pattern, & blow the dirt out of the carpet out the opposite door. Make sure no one is standing there! They'll get their eyes, ears, nose & throat filled!
Do this before you wash the carpet. All that dry dirt in the carpet + water = mud. Much harder to clean out!
To speed up the drying process, once again, use the air gun to blow out a lot of the water before you set them out to completely dry.
I'll use the blow gun to get out the dry loose dirt deep down in the carpet fiber before just vacuuming too.

I think I would have sandblasted my door off had I done that before vacuuming haha