Reviving A Stock Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Auxiliary output for running to an amp? Or auxiliary input for plugging in an mp3 player or whatever? Has it been changed over to LEDs?

Should have clarified. I meant the auxilary for plugging in an iPod. No LED's, just the stock bulbs.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I thought of something. I remember seeing something about one of the lights on the board actually being a LED. Being 90's tech makes me think it won't be 12v. I also wonder what color it is. I'd guess close to the color of the stock bulbs. I didn't mess with the one in mine. I hadn't seen that about it being a LED at the time and just didn't mess with it since it was much bigger than the other bulbs.

Thought you might want to know about that.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
There is an led but it is the little red light by the volume knob

Still waiting on that damn company to process that order

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I wasn't even aware they made direct 12v LEDs.

Yeah, I don't know how long they've been making them, but it's about time. Looks like there's a tiny resistor cast in the plastic with the diode.

There is an led but it is the little red light by the volume knob

Still waiting on that damn company to process that order ��

I decided to go ahead and mess with it. I just ordered some off Amazon. Estimated arrival is Oct 29 to Nov 3.

I wonder how or if they'll dim. I guess we'll see.

Another thing: All of the little plastic spacers that stabilized the stock bulbs were toast, so I just eyeballed the new bulbs I put in and didn't get them all exactly the same depth which I think made brighter and darker spots(like 1 or 2 millimeters, so I'm talking about tiny differences.). I'm going to make sure I've got them all the exact same(within a mm) distance from the board this time around.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I wasn't even aware they made direct 12v LEDs. I need to fix a couple of them in my 02 before I sell it, I ordered some as well. :lol:
:waytogo:
Yeah, I don't know how long they've been making them, but it's about time. Looks like there's a tiny resistor cast in the plastic with the diode.

I decided to go ahead and mess with it. I just ordered some off Amazon. Estimated arrival is Oct 29 to Nov 3.

I wonder how or if they'll dim. I guess we'll see.

Another thing: All of the little plastic spacers that stabilized the stock bulbs were toast, so I just eyeballed the new bulbs I put in and didn't get them all exactly the same depth which I think made brighter and darker spots(like 1 or 2 millimeters, so I'm talking about tiny differences.). I'm going to make sure I've got them all the exact same(within a mm) distance from the board this time around.

So if they aren't trashed, the spacers on the stock bulbs can be used on the LEDs?

My order finally showed up. The status of my order went from "processing order" to shipped" and I got them that day :shrug:

So I need to go buy a better soldering iron than the gun that I have then I can get this project underway

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
So if they aren't trashed, the spacers on the stock bulbs can be used on the LEDs?

You'll just have to try. A little difference in bulb diameter would be the difference between yes or no. I'm thinking I'll use something I can stick under the bulb between the leads, then slide out when I'm done soldering.

So I need to go buy a better soldering iron than the gun that I have then I can get this project underway

Yeah, guns are pretty crude soldering tools. I advise you to get an iron with variable heat. You can make a cheap iron work, but it is a pain compared to one that will maintain the temperature you want at the tip. A cheap iron will give up heat to what you're soldering, then slowly catch up on the iron and can lead to overheating parts. A little more spent on a good iron now will pay you back in quality and lack of headaches down the road. I use an Edsyn 971, but I remember seeing some that had similar features under $100 over the last few years. I almost never change the setting away from 800 degrees. If you get a non-adjustable, make sure it's around that temp and that it readjusts to that temperature rapidly(like with a second or two). Those are the two most important qualities to look for.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Yeah I don't do a lot of soldering, just 4 hi mod, light bar and now the radio so a cheap(ish) one should do the trick. I'll keep that in mind though

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Okay I picked up a cheap $3 soldering iron at harbor freight today. I know the tip will burn to the point it's unusable pretty quick but I use the gun for all my other soldering anyways.

Got all 10+1 (cd player) bulbs out. Hope to have a stock radio full of LEDs in the truck by Friday :waytogo: then I'll post up a thread about it

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "burn to the point it's unusable pretty quick" You can use a wet sponge or towel to clean the crud off the iron while it's hot.

Not sure if you know this or not, but don't use acid core solder or acid flux either(used for plumbing), rosin core is what you want to use for electronics.