Reverse Gone, Drive is bad, what do i do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pitbull2o08

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered before. I just really need some advice.

I have a 98 5.7L Z71 with the 4L60e original. It's been slipping ever since I got the tranny fluid and filter changed. I've been anticipating it for a while, but now reverse is gone. 1-2 takes forever to shift and only does so when i take my foot off the gas. I haven't taken it above 30 yet so i don't know about 3 and 4. I'm a starving college student who can barely pay for my books, rent, utilities, and tuition. What are my options as far as replacement trannies are concerned? I'm going to get a quote from a reputable tranny shop on a rebuild after clinical tomorrow.

let me know if this is right...

Replacements...
96-98 5.7L 4l60e (4l80e's also??)
Can i get a v6 4x4 4l60e as well? Those are prevalent around me.

What should all be rebuilt if i want it to just be reliable and not cost a grand to do? Just bands and clutches? I'm sure the sunshell is probably broke, but i have no idea how much that costs to replace/fix.

I feel so lost it's not even funny. I started a new job that's 30 mins away, but pays well and my first check won't be until february. good thing i saved some money.

Any advice? I think i'm going to ask my neighbor if i can borrow their car until i fix this tranny

Anybody in Ohio that can help a kid out? :/

Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
If i remember right you can replace the transmission with any 4L60e from a 96 and up truck. I don't know if one out of a v6 would work because of the bellhousing and input shaft. A 4l80e will not work without some mods. As far as what should be rebuilt - any reputable shop should know what to replace. If it was me, and I had the money, I'd have everything replaced including the torque converter. All the parts to do a major rebuild aren't that much, it's the labor that kills you. If "Rhino" sees this he would be able to chime in and give you an answer as well. I know around here there are lots of people that rebuild trannies and sell them for $700-900 with a core in exchange. I don't know how good they are, but the shops offer a 2 yr warranty. Hope this helps a bit.

Just2Sweet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did they still use the 4L60 in 2000? If so, might wanna check this out...

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/2779112963.html

There are a couple other ads on craigslist as well.

Metro Transmissions on the corner of Agler and Stelzer (northeast side of Columbus) is a great shop if you are looking for a well done rebuild at a reasonable price. I've heard there's a shop in Delaware called MD Transmission that is one of the cheapest places in central OH as far as rebuilds go. I've also heard a lot of good things about Hard Shift Transmissions in Johnstown. I would just call a few shops and ask for an estimate on a rebuild, and go from there.

Last edited:

Pitbull2o08

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

What I heard about the newer transmissions is that it has to be from the same motor also. Can anyone confirm or deny this? So a 5.3 motor's tranny won't fit onto my 5.7?

I also have to worry about pulling and installing in the transmission if i buy a rebuilt one. And i live in an apartment where i don't even have a garage. ugh

Last edited:

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
They did still use the 4l60e through 2002. I don't believe you can use one that bolted up to a different motor than what you have.

Good info given by Steve. I'd start calling around and see what your looking at for costs and go from there. Even if you get one out of a yard, you're taking a chance on that one anyway.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are going to get a used one, try car-part.com. I looked, there are 2 on there from Circleville Ohio for $399.00. With a warranty. I doubt you will beat that price. I think for that 5.7 the interchange is 98-99 only. The 5.3 is different. you can make it work, but you have to change the pump, input drum, bellhousing, tailhousing, and converter.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
what about the Vans that had the 5.7's up to 2002 they would sport a 4l60e/4l80e wouldnt they? i'm waiting for our one work van to retire lol.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Before I read all of your posts, I'm going to say this right now, a 96' has a 1 piece transmission, all together the 96' tranny is a 1 year only tranny.

Ive been doing some research, as I am tearing my tranny out saturday morning at work, and taking it to get fully rebuilt and updated. I have a 96'.

Pitbull2o08

Reaction score
OK, need some advise!

The best quote i got was a fresh, rebuilt tranny, new everything, sunshell twice as thick and heat treated (he said the sunshell will never break again) and new other for $850 I can install it myself. (I forgot there's a warranty but can't remember the time frame)

I found a used one, out of a 2000 5.7L for 550 from a buddies friend's yard. He said that if it didn't work, just to take it back and get my money back.

I'm waiting to hear back from this guy who rebuilds trannies professionally, and offers a warranty. They start at 350 and go up. But i haven't gotten a hold of him yet.

Remember i'm a poor college student who just drives back and forth to the hospital, class, and sometimes 3 hours to Youngstown.

What would you do?

Thanks