Reseal/rebuild NP241C parts???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ‘95 Sierra K1500 has a very leaky transfer case. No noises or engagement issues. Just leaking like crazy. Truck has 125k miles on it.

I am ready to pull it out and was going to order seals, maybe seals & bearings, or maybe just a full parts kit. But now I’m confused by the myriad of brands & vendors out there for these parts. I’m okay with spending more for good parts, but would always be happy to save some $$$ if the cheaper kits are as good as the more expensive ones.

Whats the good/bad experience here? Any brands/vendors to avoid? Any significantly better than the others?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody?

I yanked it out and got it apart this morning. I got lucky. Interior components all look like new. Bearings all spin smoothly. Chain is good and tight.

As expected, the seals are all hard as rocks. It’ll be an easy job to swap seals and reassemble it.

I’m just going to order a cheap gasket/seal kit and hopefully I don’t get burned.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at rebuild kits at Rockauto and Allstate Gear. Not sure which one I will end up getting.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up ordering a seal kit from the jungle for $35.00 and a tube of Permatex 81180 RTV that is specifically for automatic transmissions. Unfortunately the seal kit isn’t expected to deliver until February 21st through 26th. Guess that’ll give me time to replace the leaky engine oil cooler lines while it sits on the lift.

I hate leaks….

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always had bad luck ordering seals ahead of time. There always seems to be a couple versions of these things in slightly different measurements. Whichever one I order, is the one I don't have.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny update:

I got the shipping notification from the jungle site today. Seal kit is arriving tomorrow. Turns out it’s being shipped by a transmission parts supplier about ten miles from my house.

I hate being new to an area and not knowing what’s here. I could have had this reassembled by now had I known the parts house was so close. Oh well….

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the only thing you are missing is a sye from Tom Woods.