Replacing lifters while the heads are off? Or waste of money?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Within spec has tolerences, dead nuts on would be measured exactly with a pushrod length tool to account for preload and everything.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OEM pushrod length for L31 would be 7.2 or a few thousandths shorter.

7.150 would be one shelf-stock size smaller. Could make a difference in the "sweep" across the valve tip, (which could affect valve guide life) but wouldn't be such a difference that the engine wouldn't run.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Local machine shop recommended Enginetech lifters based on his experience. Enginetech says to adjust the valve lash 1.5 turns past 0 lash, where stock OEM says 3/4 turn past 0.

I decided to go with the Enginetech because I won't need to swap pushrods (supposedly)

Anyone here use Enginetech lifters? Did you really set to 1.5 turns past 0? That seems awfully tight.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local machine shop recommended Enginetech lifters based on his experience.
First Guess: Ehginetech does not MAKE lifters. Enginetech buys in bulk from some supplier, then puts them in a custom-printed box.

Thousands of years ago, we called this process "reboxing"; but now it's so entirely common that it's hard to find stuff that hasn't been "reboxed".

So, who's lifters are they really selling? Quality product, or Cheap Communist Crap?

Enginetech says to adjust the valve lash 1.5 turns past 0 lash, where stock OEM says 3/4 turn past 0.
Interesting. I thought GM specs were pretty-much universally "one turn past zero lash".

I decided to go with the Enginetech because I won't need to swap pushrods (supposedly)
What is different between Enginetech lifters and anyone elses in terms of pushrod compatibility?

Anyone here use Enginetech lifters? Did you really set to 1.5 turns past 0? That seems awfully tight.
I've seen lifters with more than a quarter-inch (0.250+) of plunger travel. One full turn of the nut is 0.050 movement at the stud, which translates into somewhat more than that (0.075?) at the pushrod end of the rocker arm due to rocker ratio. A turn-and-a-half is not all that much if your lifter plungers have that much travel.

'Course, you'd want to know how much travel YOUR lifter plungers have. I got into trouble once because I was sold lifters that had about .005 travel and there was no note or warning in the packaging that they were extremely short-travel product.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Shurkey you are a dependable guy, I appreciate your input, always helping folks think, not just "do" .

I was aware that Enginetech just rebranded stuff, fortunately. I have read that they are supposedly Eaton products. I went with them for two reasons ..... Affordable.... And the Machine shop that sold me the reman heads has installed many of them without issues.

I actually ordered the lifters from them initially but the order failed somehow, and since I manage a busy shop myself I just had to mail order them to get them fairly quickly.

I didn't ask them how many turns they torque.

My gasket set got lost in the mail of course. Hopefully the lifters won't lol.

I got the intake torn apart, cleaned up with the sureshot, rebolted together complete with the MFI conversion.

Tomorrow I will clean up the engine deck and wait impatiently for the mail to get here just in time to not be done by Thanksgiving lol.