Repairing my A/C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've been repairing things on this old truck of mine since I got it back from my son in law in October after 13 years. Among other things, the A/C hasn't been working for several years. I haven't tried charging it but no doubt after 26 years, it probably needs updated. I'm thinking it would just leak out if I filled it. I was looking at Rock Auto and UAC has a compressor kit with compressor, drier and oil and seals and orifice tube. There are so many choices on condenser I have no idea which to choose. couple questions, Can I flush the evap unit without tearing the dash apart or replace? Will I be able to use the 134A after replacing these parts or is more or different parts needed? This is really the last mechanical issue I have left to tackle on the truck. It has been a long list! Once this is fixed, I'll move on to a good cleaning and cosmetic stuff.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your wanting to freshen the system up then the best way is to go ahead and get the compressor kit. As for condensor you said you had so many options. You talking size, design? You best bet if its sizes is just measure yours. Yes you can flush evap from under the hood no need to change it unless its leaking. After all that you can charge 134a you just do 80% of the r12 charge. Reason behind that is 134 operates at a slightly higher pressures

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My info may not be current, but the UAC kit's appear to use Sanden compressors. In the past they were not very well thought of.
When possible I go with AC Delco or Delphi in these trucks for most any factory type parts replacement. In this case I recommend Delphi. I have Delphi compressors in a 96 K1500 and 02 G1500 for a while now with no problems. I didn't replace the condensors, either.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your wanting to freshen the system up then the best way is to go ahead and get the compressor kit. As for condensor you said you had so many options. You talking size, design? You best bet if its sizes is just measure yours. Yes you can flush evap from under the hood no need to change it unless its leaking. After all that you can charge 134a you just do 80% of the r12 charge. Reason behind that is 134 operates at a slightly higher pressures

Well as far as condensers go, on the Rock Auto site they list about six or seven, cheapest to most expensive in that order. AC was the priciest. And thanks for the 75% info. I still need a set of gauges to fill and read pressures so I'll watch a bunch more videos on that.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My info may not be current, but the UAC kit's appear to use Sanden compressors. In the past they were not very well thought of.
When possible I go with AC Delco or Delphi in these trucks for most any factory type parts replacement. In this case I recommend Delphi. I have Delphi compressors in a 96 K1500 and 02 G1500 for a while now with no problems. I didn't replace the condensors, either.
Thank you. I will definitely check exactly what compressor they are using. I like Delphi. I put one of their fuel pump setups in this truck over the winter.