Removing cats on 98 5.7l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Easy fix.. Buy some shorty headers.. The first two sensors won't be a bother.. Drop your cats an if you have two sensors after cats or one .. You can buy o2 sensor simulators.. 42 bucks a piece.. They plug into factory o2 connectors and zip tie to harness .. Make sure the county your in don't so emissions .. More power.. Better sound.. Afterthoughtsauto.com for the simulators.. Jegs or summit for the headers..

Headers.. nah, The only headers I would run are the most expensive, and that's not in the budget, If I do take cats off, I would be interested in them there simulators :hmm: asscake at the auto parts store said they didn't exist. No emissions here, I know cops around here that drive diesels with straight pipes that are chipped and I see them blowing soot all through town.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wanted to throw and update got some time to get the cats off today. They actually wernt clogged up with 226,000 miles on them. But gotta say it runs better notice mabye a bit of lag under 3 grand but really picks up after that whos ever under 3k anyway lol. Didnt really notice any noise change!!!!! Really was hoping it was gonna be louder but o well tones better not a lick of drone in the cab! Id say o for it if your thinking about removing them.

Arnes98

Reaction score
I personally dont think the cats being on or off will make a noticeable difference other than maybe the sound.
I always use Heddman headers, they are pretty cheap and last a decent amount of time. IMO any 500+ headers are a waste of money on a near stock truck.
Will it have a drone sound with the cats removed? I have a 98 2500 hd 8600 and wanting to do the same thing but a few sites are saying the sound is migraine causing

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will it have a drone sound with the cats removed? I have a 98 2500 hd 8600 and wanting to do the same thing but a few sites are saying the sound is migraine causing
ive had my cats off for years, no cats sint gonna cause a drone, your muffler choice will. if youre gonna straight pipe it itll just be a little louder, perhaps a light drone with cruise but other then that youre fine as long as noise. also consider where your tailpipe sits and pipe size.