Removing 7.4 Vortech from my 1999 K2500 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoot, if there aren't any metal bits in the pan and it's not leaking, I'd be hard pressed not to just replace the cam, lifters, and pushrods and put it back together. That's a far sight cheaper than a rebuild.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mine ate a cam and I was shocked that the bearings didn't seem to have ingested any of that crap. Multiple pitted rollers on the lifters though.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pan wasn't full of crap either.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shoot, if there aren't any metal bits in the pan and it's not leaking, I'd be hard pressed not to just replace the cam, lifters, and pushrods and put it back together. That's a far sight cheaper than a rebuild.

Removed oil pan and this is what I found:

You must be registered for see images attach

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bearings/ Journals?

I have a 1996 k2500 with 270k unknown miles... nesxt Covid-19 Project might be a engine refresh! Thanks for this info on this thread!!

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that's what's in your oil pan id just replace the whole thing with the gm crate...
Agree. Or find a good, complete, running engine with good oil pressure. Do valve seals and go.
Crate long truck block would be ideal. These days machine work (such that it is) to restore a damaged block and sevice heads will cost as much as going crate. There are a lot of good 150k used complete engine still in trucks too. No one wants Suburbans. '96-'99 are the same. The electronics are not the same, but hard parts are.
The crate long block assumes that your FI system is in good condition.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Or find a good, complete, running engine with good oil pressure. Do valve seals and go.
Crate long truck block would be ideal. These days machine work (such that it is) to restore a damaged block and sevice heads will cost as much as going crate. There are a lot of good 150k used complete engine still in trucks too. No one wants Suburbans. '96-'99 are the same. The electronics are not the same, but hard parts are.
The crate long block assumes that your FI system is in good condition.

Dropped it off yesterday at a local shop remember try to support your local as much as possible only 3 miles from my house and came highly recommended.
Cost was less than a crate engine trust me I have be researching for the last two years and this guy is working closely with me on this build. I told him what I was going to use a truck for and we went from there and I will get the engine I want just need to do a few more ECU tweaks do it after I get it in and running and broke in.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe I should move opening mine up on the list...there's a mysterious tick that won't go away and I chalked it up to an exhaust leak...

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe I should move opening mine up on the list...there's a mysterious tick that won't go away and I chalked it up to an exhaust leak...
Could be a rocker arm bolt. They will back out. Starts off as a tick, gets gradually louder. Runs normally.
And I have a nice set of 7.4 Vortec stock exhaust manifolds if you find a need.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a rocker arm bolt. They will back out. Starts off as a tick, gets gradually louder. Runs normally.
And I have a nice set of 7.4 Vortec stock exhaust manifolds if you find a need.

Yep. Or in my case, could be a cam as they like to eat those as well. Pull the belts and see if the noise persists.