Removing 7.4 Vortech from my 1999 K2500 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be a rocker arm bolt. They will back out. Starts off as a tick, gets gradually louder. Runs normally.
And I have a nice set of 7.4 Vortec stock exhaust manifolds if you find a need.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Appreciate the offer, but when these manifolds come off there's going to be a set of JBA shorties going on. I'll have to dig around with a stethoscope to see where the sound is coming from.

Yep. Or in my case, could be a cam as they like to eat those as well. Pull the belts and see if the noise persists.

I mean if it eats the cam it eats the cam, but I definitely want to hold off on that until I get all my puzzle pieces together to rip it apart.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well if it's gone now you don't wanna keep driving it. Gotta pop the valve covers and see.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if it's gone now you don't wanna keep driving it. Gotta pop the valve covers and see.

It's still nothing serious, just a faint sound. A little more prominent in the cold but nothing violent. But it does have me thinking I should check it out pretty soon.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gibson shorties work well and will fit. That said, they are a PITA to install with the engine in the truck. Especially on stock 7.4 exhaust system. I'd go with a 4" single exhaust if changing out again. These headers stayed tight too. That surprised me.
Re cam noise...if a cam roller grenades, it'll take out an engine. And a loose rocker will hammer the lifter roller. Be careful.
If over 150k miles on engine, it's getting close.
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did those Gibsons have a 3" collector and a piece of tubing to weld into the existing exhaust to get rid of the factory 2.5" choke point?

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did those Gibsons have a 3" collector and a piece of tubing to weld into the existing exhaust to get rid of the factory 2.5" choke point?
They did. Had to cut the factory exhaust flanges and 90* off. Weld on Gibson flanges. Fee extra straight bits for crossover...
The pipe is hanging finger tight, but that's what they supplied.
Most of my truck was nicely done, but that factory was a headache. Once the front was welded up, the dual front/rear connector never was tight. It would burn the gasket out. In a summer. Easy to replace. But just not good enough. My diesel makes a 1000 lbs of torque and 500 + HP thru a 4" (slightly modified) exhaust. Not noisy, and zero leaks. Right pic for S&Gs.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Removed oil pan and this is what I found:

This is were it came from rods and mains spun:

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went by the The engine shop today To check on the progress of the rebuild.
They have finished with a line boring of the block it’s OK the crankshaft needed to be replaced it was too far gone and he also handed me my camshaft which was in a lot worse shape than I originally thought.
And with five bad lobes that would be my running issues.
Earlier concerns from others were an issue with the cam gear or the distributor but it seem to be good.