Removing 7.4 Vortech from my 1999 K2500 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I called comp cams about a cam suggestion they suggested the extreme energy cam which would require a computer tune adjustable rocker arms springs new rollers and everything that was a little too much for what I want to do.

when I was talking to the machine shop they suggested against doing adjustable rocker arms that’s the reason why we picked the cam we did it’s not required and it would be under the stock about covers all I need is a new springs for the over 500 he said.

Well i was going to suggest the extreme energy until i read this one. You could do a custom grind to more closely match the XE without the lift, pretty much just knock the LSA down a bit. Either way this cam plus tuning and decent exhaust will be a nice difference.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed my cam with nothing more than an adjustable valvetrain conversion, stiffer springs, and rotator eliminators. 212/218 and low .500s lift.
Damned important. The rotators have a tapered surface where the OEM spring sits, I'm fairly sure aftermarket springs will be unhappy seated on a slope.

The L29 heads may need some trimming at the valve pocket-to-valve guide; when I put rotator eliminator shims on my heads, two guides on each head needed some grinder work.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd heard the same thing, but mine all dropped right in all the way. Hit and miss I suppose.

Saab84mw

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got it pulled out and this is what I found:

I guess it wasn’t the distributor after all.

You must be registered for see images attach

300stw

Reaction score
how bout custom cam from straub technologies, he said he grinds a cam that makes 550lb tq 2-3 better mpg