Removal of 2-3" Rough Country Suspension Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rc64597

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
All:

I just bought a 1998 Silverado 1500 (4x4 not Z71) with a brand new, freshly installed Rough Country 2-3" Suspension Lift with add-a-leafs (http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspe...t-kit-170.html) . The previous owner installed the lift as he needed to replace front end/steering/suspension parts anyways. He installed it correctly and aligned everything afterwards. It may be worth noting that the truck is still riding on stock rims and tires and it looks awkward

I do not like lifts and want it gone. End of story!

Questions for you guys

1) What parts must I remove to remove lift kit? Can I re-use any of the parts when the lift is removed, or are all the parts made to work on a lifted truck?

2) What parts do I need to buy to replace the kit parts? What is the total estimated cost to replace all these parts with OEM parts? I'm assuming it would be the OEM equivalent of all the Rough Country parts but I have no experience with lifts so I don't know. I will jack the truck up with an auto lift to remove these parts. I will do all the labor.

3) How much time is involved to remove a lift and replace it with all stock parts?

4) Do you guys know of any existing resources for removing this type of lift? I couldn't find any...just install documentation.

5) Is there any reason to leave the lift in place and build the truck with the lift in place? As in, removing the lift is a bad idea?

Thanks to all and happy Friday/weekend!!!

-Bob

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you look thru the install directions on rough countries web site part of the install requires part of the lower diff bracket to be cut out. my thinking would be you are stuck with the lift unless you find a donor bracket from another truck and weld it back in

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that looks pretty good, maybe bigger tires and call it a day.

Just curious, if you knew the lift was just installed and you don't like lifts why go through the trouble of taking everything off and converting to stock?

Not knocking you or the truck I was just wondering.

rc64597

Reaction score
I think that looks pretty good, maybe bigger tires and call it a day.

Just curious, if you knew the lift was just installed and you don't like lifts why go through the trouble of taking everything off and converting to stock?

Not knocking you or the truck I was just wondering.

Slightly confused by the question but I will answer the best way I can.

1) I like the look of lifts, but I hate the way they change the steering geometry, kill handling, make a rough ride, kill MPG, wear out front end parts faster, need to be aligned more, and ordering parts....WELL you are ordering parts for a rough country lift...not for a 1998 Silverado....

2) I would prefer my K1500 be coverted to a stock height/lowered Escalade truck....I love the Cadillac-soft ride of these trucks...the rough country lift has killed that

3) I love the power of the 350 Vortec. And the MPG. And the fact that it's basically an LT1 Corvette block. The lift slows the truck down, wears things out faster, and kills the MPG.

4) I have access to a shop with an auto-lift. I am my own mechanic. I do my own work. I would rather start with an OEM truck and modify myself.

5) I have access to any tool I may need to change out the lift.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sound like me wanting your lifted truck to ride like a caddy lol......

I would buy tires and call it a day but its your truck and you have to be the one who enjoys it so.....Good luck with whatever you decide

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess the basis of my question was: Why buy a lifted truck if you want a stock height vehicle?

1. If the truck has a fresh alignment, and fresh IFS parts you should be good for a looooong time if you're not beating the living daylights out of it. Rough Country is reasonably priced so parts aren't terribly expensive but I can see what you're saying.

2. I have yet to own a vehicle with a "Cadillac ride" so I can't relate. When I had my '95 it rode on a 3" body lift with 35's and the original Bilstein shocks. My '03 is stock and has mud tires so it's still not Cadillac quality. Maybe ditch the Rough Country shocks if the lift came with them and throw some Bilstein 5100's on. I bet the ride quality will be a lot better! I haven't ridden in a 4x4 truck yet that's smooth and feels like its riding on air, only thing I can think of is maybe an Escalade EXT. Closest thing to a Cadillac truck.

3. My '95 was a TBI 350. A 3" lift shouldn't drastically kill MPG maybe a 1 MPG loss. Not sure if you're aware of a Black Bear Tune. I heard they do wonders on the Vortec motors.

4. Sounds like you can keep up with the maintenance then! Keep an eye on the IFS parts and you should have nothing to worry about. Moog and Rock Auto are your friends lol.

5.If ya got the tools then you can definitely find a parts truck to cut the differential bracket off and weld it on to your truck. Should be pretty simple.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I guess the basis of my question was: Why buy a lifted truck if you want a stock height vehicle?

1. If the truck has a fresh alignment, and fresh IFS parts you should be good for a looooong time if you're not beating the living daylights out of it. Rough Country is reasonably priced so parts aren't terribly expensive but I can see what you're saying.

2. I have yet to own a vehicle with a "Cadillac ride" so I can't relate. When I had my '95 it rode on a 3" body lift with 35's and the original Bilstein shocks. My '03 is stock and has mud tires so it's still not Cadillac quality. Maybe ditch the Rough Country shocks if the lift came with them and throw some Bilstein 5100's on. I bet the ride quality will be a lot better! I haven't ridden in a 4x4 truck yet that's smooth and feels like its riding on air, only thing I can think of is maybe an Escalade EXT. Closest thing to a Cadillac truck.

3. My '95 was a TBI 350. A 3" lift shouldn't drastically kill MPG maybe a 1 MPG loss. Not sure if you're aware of a Black Bear Tune. I heard they do wonders on the Vortec motors.

4. Sounds like you can keep up with the maintenance then! Keep an eye on the IFS parts and you should have nothing to worry about. Moog and Rock Auto are your friends lol.

5.If ya got the tools then you can definitely find a parts truck to cut the differential bracket off and weld it on to your truck. Should be pretty simple.
That's like saying why buy a stock truck if you wanted a lifted truck haha of that's the deal that comes up that's what you buy. Also the RCX 3 inch kit is JUNK I'd take it off to

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's like saying why buy a stock truck if you wanted a lifted truck haha of that's the deal that comes up that's what you buy. Also the RCX 3 inch kit is JUNK I'd take it off to

Idk, I never really cared about how my vehicles ride lol. I'm tempted to buy the 5100's just to see how much of a difference they make. I just bought my 400 because I wanted a truck for a change. I didn't care if it was stock or lifted. I'm just saying personally I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a lift if I didn't want one. Just discussion is all, I'm bored at home tonight lol.

rc64597

Reaction score
Change of pace here guys...

1) If I swapped the Rough Country POS shocks out for some Bilstein Adjustables such as 5100s, do you anticipate the ride quality/handling would mock OEM handling? The one positive I heard about this kit is it does not screw with the OEM steering geometry...perhaps using good Bilsteins would accomplish this (or get it closer?)

2) Would a certain Bilstein Adjustable shock such as 5100, HD, Comfort, etc be able to adjust enough to fit on the truck either way, with the lift installed and torsion bars cranked, and at OEM height with OEM parts?

Thanks all!

-Bob