Remember Johnny Cash's "one piece at a time"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

"Sparkle someone else's eys"
Reaction score
Well that is kind of how I'm feelin' with my "90" about now.

A few weeks ago it was a cylinder head and a rear main seal. Then the bracket that holds all the electronics on the right side of the engine. A thermostat a couple days after that (replaced at the head rebuild). A week and a half ago it was a new to me glove box door and a temp gauge. Last Sunday the ICM went **** up and today the water pump followed. I also replaced the thermostat as it was acting funky. From cold it would spike up to about 225 then fall back to 150/160. It would continue to cycle and eventually stabilize but that took 15 to 20 minutes to do so. The water pump today was making a "tink" noise, preceded by the engine overheating. I suspect the impeller is either off or coming off the shaft or coming apart.

So like Johnny Cash I am building my truck "One Piece At A time" :Big Laugh: or is it :banghead:

Ken

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well that is kind of how I'm feelin' with my "90" about now.

A few weeks ago it was a cylinder head and a rear main seal. Then the bracket that holds all the electronics on the right side of the engine. A thermostat a couple days after that (replaced at the head rebuild). A week and a half ago it was a new to me glove box door and a temp gauge. Last Sunday the ICM went **** up and today the water pump followed. I also replaced the thermostat as it was acting funky. From cold it would spike up to about 225 then fall back to 150/160. It would continue to cycle and eventually stabilize but that took 15 to 20 minutes to do so. The water pump today was making a "tink" noise, preceded by the engine overheating. I suspect the impeller is either off or coming off the shaft or coming apart.

So like Johnny Cash I am building my truck "One Piece At A time" :Big Laugh: or is it :banghead:

Ken

You would need parts from multiple generations of trucks to make the song come to life.!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Well I guess the guys who have LS motors in their trucks and square body rally wheels have the multiple generation thing covered then.....;)

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL. When I bought my K3500, the engine was running, and when I got to my brother's house, it wouldn't start. The battery was dead. After jumping cables I got home and when I popped the hood I saw the radiator was leaking where someone had put some JB weld or something.

I've put a radiator, PS pump, hydroboost valve, alternator, starter, (4) O2 sensors, spider injectors and second battery ...some other little things in about 3 years and 3,000 miles or less. I bought it as a beater truck for hauling construction materials and still is a beater truck. Don't drive it much since I finished my construction project I bought it for, but it is still fun to drive around.

But I keep saying, the GMT400s are the "NEW" square bodys...get them cheap while you can! And keep a piggy bank full for the maintenance costs, LOL.