Remanufactured trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experiences to share. My step father in law has a ‘93 turbodiesel auto C2500. So it should have a 4L80e according to my understanding. ( I suppose I could crawl under it and count the pan bolts. )

Twice now the trans has gone bad. First time he paid someone $2K and there have not been very many miles since. Now it won’t reverse.

We know not to use overdrive when towing, but I won’t claim it’s always been that way. Would that truck have a trans cooler? Seems like a no-brainer.

We live in a small town where there aren’t transmission shops. Wondering if it would be wise to buy a remanufactured trans from some place that KNOWS about whatever shortcomings these transmissions have, and have included upgrades as part of the rebuild. And get it shipped to us.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
These trucks all have a transmission cooler built into the radiator, and I would assume that a C2500 diesel should also have the aux cooler mounted in front of the radiator. If it doesn't, you should definitely add one.

I always recommend that people go with a local transmission builder if possible, but I understand that not everyone has that luxury. If you do end up going with a pre-built 4L80E I'd look at Gearstar. They seem to have a pretty good reputation. Whatever you do stay away from Monster Transmission and Jasper.

I'm honestly kind of surprised to hear you've had so many problems with the 4L80E, they're supposed to be pretty bulletproof.