97 4l60e 2wd trans issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turtles

Reaction score
Been a member for a very long time, lost password so new account. I've searched plenty of different posts (even the stickies) trying to figure out what could possibly be going on.

Truck is a 97 light duty 2500 (1500 with a 14bolt rear), replaced the transmission with a brand remanufactured 4l60e from the GM dealership, had a shop to install it. I think I had it replaced because either the 1-2 or the 3-4 clutch pack were going out, honestly don't recall. The trucks speedo isn't very accurate, maybe 5-10 mph, although it always seemed off before the new trans. I had figured the transmission would have came with a new vss, or would they just put an old sensor in a new transmission?

Well, new transmission is starting to show signs of issue's. When I had gotten the truck back I noticed in in drive, the torque converter locked up to early, didn't think much of it seeing as I never tow in overdrive.

Now I'm noticing the the transmission is starting stutter between 2nd and 3rd, almost like it's not getting enough pressure. On a cold start it'll take a second to get going out of overdrive (or manual 3rd/2nd), I did notice on startup the trans dipstick had bubbles on it, as if it's got air in the lines. There is no coolant/trans fluid contamination, no trans leaks either. I'm waiting on a trans gauge to test what kinda pressure I'm getting on startup, warmed up, and at speed.

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would be taking it back to the shop that installed it. Make it a "them" issue. Don't do any diagnosis, or at least tell them you didn't. Make them make it right.

Turtles

Reaction score
At the time I needed it for work and my dually needed some work, shop usually has a 3 week wait, but now that work will be slowing down a little, might aswell get them to check it out.

One thing though, I took it to the shop specifically to replace the transmission, any other issues neither myself or the shop was aware of, figured after 300k miles, that trans might have had enough.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the time I needed it for work and my dually needed some work, shop usually has a 3 week wait, but now that work will be slowing down a little, might aswell get them to check it out.
It's a "come back". That should get jumped to the head of the line. Be sure and make a stink, but not so much they turn you away and you have to hire a lawyer to get resolution.

Turtles

Reaction score
Yes, it's a reman. I'll end up taking it the shop on Thursday if I can't figure out what it could possibly be. Failing PCM in most cases would throw a check engine light, correct? The trans came with a wiring harness jumper/update, shop said it already had the update/didn't need it. Just curious what everyone's thoughts were, as it's starting to be clear it's before the transmission.

If I had another full size truck to tow a trailer at the time, I'd have just swapped a 4l80e, or just start the swap to a nv3500, just wasn't going to work for my schedule.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
gm "remans" are made by the lowest bidder. the terms "GM" and "remanufactured" should not be confused with "quality". sounds like you had this gm reman installed by another shop (not the dealership)? If that's the case why would the shop warranty it? how do you know your speedometer is not at fault? are you running stock sized tires? have you or the shop checked with a scantool to verify the VSS is the same as the speedometer?

Turtles

Reaction score
Ok, it was bought from a GM dealership, with a GM parts warranty, who remanufactured it isn't of my concern, as it sold by GM, and has a GM warranty. Not sure if I was clear, but I don't expect the shop to warranty the parts, only if they were installed correctly. If the VSS was failing/failed, one symptom would be a jumping speedometer.

Reason why it was not installed by GM was because of wait time, if shop A had an open spot and was an honest and reputable shop, and shop B had a 4 week delay, most would choose shop A. I'll have to check computer speed vs speedo speed tomorrow; in the future, yes the shop will check the computer speed, as I had not requested a diagnosis from the shop, just a replacement.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you would have a lot of other issues if VSS failed as a majority of the shifting logic requires a speed signal. Not to mention probably also a CEL. I only brought up if the dealership didn't install the trans, getting a warranty will be a lot harder/difficult unless this shop was approved by GM/GM dealership.

There is no "1-2 clutchpack". There is a 2/4 band and 3/4 clutchpack, both can be common failure points i. this trans. Did the shop at minimum flush the trans cooler and lines? Depending how how much of a meltdown there was in the trans would dictate if i'd get the cooler professionally flushed or just replace it all together. Did the reman come with a new converter or was the old one reused (bad)? I wouldn't point the finger at the trans yet sounds like something else is going on (like an issue with the VSS or even PCM)

Last edited:

Turtles

Reaction score
It's at the shop now, transmissions are one thing I don't really like to mess with, as it usually gets expensive pretty quickly if not fixed properly. I would hope they flushed the radiator/trans cooler, old converter stayed, as the guy from the gm parts department said mine should be fine. But in the end I should have forked over the money and just did a 4l80 swap with a new converter, ecm and pcm tune.

The fluid I put in before I took it to the shop to get a new trans swapped in literally had maybe 50 miles on it, as I replaced some of the switches/sensors in the transmission in hopes to save it.

While they have it might aswell get them to rebuild the whole front end if they can.

Thanks for the replies