Recirc Actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hd120

Reaction score
Need some assistance - I have a 1998 silverado that has the thumping sound coming from the recirc actuator under the passenger side. I can see the lower screw to the actuator and can feel the upper screw but am having a hard time accessing it. Stealership says the dash has to be removed to remove the actuator and quoted me 700 bucks labor as it is a four hour job!!! I was wondering if anyone has removed one and installed a new actuator without removing the dash. And, I keep reading about re-calibrating the new one, not sure why this would be necessary - any help would be appreciated - thanks!!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Need some assistance - I have a 1998 silverado that has the thumping sound coming from the recirc actuator under the passenger side. I can see the lower screw to the actuator and can feel the upper screw but am having a hard time accessing it. Stealership says the dash has to be removed to remove the actuator and quoted me 700 bucks labor as it is a four hour job!!! I was wondering if anyone has removed one and installed a new actuator without removing the dash. And, I keep reading about re-calibrating the new one, not sure why this would be necessary - any help would be appreciated - thanks!!
No need to pull the dash at all. That's dealership labor rate material..

Pic links are broken (my host is just http not https so your browser may not display them) - but you can open the pics in their own tab and they should display.

In short though a nut driver bit placed on the screw, held in place with the gasket scraper, then you can use a small wrench to turn the bit. Sounds stupid but it's stupid easy.

Richard

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was able to get mine off with just a regular 5.5mm socket and a small socket wrench. was not easy, lots of blind feeling around until i mated the screw with the socket. i dont know why it has 2, one screw is sufficient to lock it in place with the shaft of the actuator, thats how all regular hvac products work in buildings

hd120

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - everything seems right there with the exception of that screw on the top. I can feel it but I think I just need a little more patience - thanks again!

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No need to pull the dash at all. That's dealership labor rate material..

Pic links are broken (my host is just http not https so your browser may not display them) - but you can open the pics in their own tab and they should display.

In short though a nut driver bit placed on the screw, held in place with the gasket scraper, then you can use a small wrench to turn the bit. Sounds stupid but it's stupid easy.

Richard
You're probably already aware of this, but it says your domain is for sale....

I have to do this job sooner than later, what are the chances of those pictures still being around somewhere?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM Accountant "Hmm... we're already using both metric and standard bolt sizes. How else can we make it a PITA?"
GM Engineer "We could always use an obscure half-size! How does 5.5mm sound to you?"
GM Accountant "Genius!"

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're probably already aware of this, but it says your domain is for sale....

I have to do this job sooner than later, what are the chances of those pictures still being around somewhere?
Not for sale; godaddy holding it hostage due to technical issues at their end that they somehow expect me to resolve. Tech idiots. Been my domain since 1999 or 2000 and I'd been with them since 2007 and I'm finished with their BS.

Anyway, let me post 'em in here for some hopes of posterity.. it's a simple job, though. Just cramped workspace.

Tools - 1/4" drive ratchet, 1/4" wrench, socket, nutdriver style socket, gasket scraper. Socket size needed varies depending on year; I guess some use 7mm and some use that 7/32" tiny thing.
You must be registered for see images attach

1988-1994 helps to remove glovebox liner and throw a drop light above work area. 1995-up you can simply push the tabs and release the catch to remove the glovebox door/compartment.

Actuator viewed from below... only 2 screws hold it in, and 1 plastic guide pin. Lower screw easy to remove. Upper one in cramped work area.

Nutdriver socket held against screw with gasket scraper in one hand, then you can turn the nutdriver socket with the wrench to loosen the screw, then it's fairly easy to turn the socket with your fingers alone to get it the rest of the way out.

Post-mortem of old actuator.. I know some have found cracked gears in theirs; this one looked OK but was no good.

Richard

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM Accountant "Hmm... we're already using both metric and standard bolt sizes. How else can we make it a PITA?"
GM Engineer "We could always use an obscure half-size! How does 5.5mm sound to you?"

Accounting asked "Can this bolt be deleted."

Marketing asked "How can we steer repair business to the dealers?"

Management said "We need it without a schedule hit and with little or no NRE."

Engineering said "We need the bolt, but we could always use an obscure half-size!".

Engineers supply solutions to problems. Sometimes the problems they're handed aren't very... flattering, and they wind up getting the blame.

Then again, half of the engineers graduate in the bottom 50% of their class :) But that's true of every field, even brain surgeons.

Last edited: