Rebuilding Rear Drums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the drums, plates, diff housing and all mounting parts sand blasted and coated in an industrial epoxy enamel. They use this stuff on offshore heavy machinery...so it stands up well to salt water. That's a non issue for me as we don't get snow but it means it will stand up to anything I need it for..
The rest is painted with paint listed as actual drum and brake paint.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should have crossed refrenced this :)

So basically I can just follow this step by step. When I pull the old drums off, just soak it with brake cleaner and then wipe it down or can I power wash it after its soaked in brake cleaner?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i cant get my rear drum off can some one help

Back the shoe off by turning the adjuster. Your drum more then likely has a ridge on the inside lip that is not allowing the drum to pull off because the shoe is holding it on. Just use a large flathead screw driver to back the adjuster off. Depending on what side it is, will determine if you have to rotate the adjuster up and down. The adjsuter access hole will be at the bottom of the backing plate. Just be sure to give it plenty of rotations, and it will pull off very easily. Also it would be a good idea to have your drum turned if the ridge is big.

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back the shoe off by turning the adjuster. Your drum more then likely has a ridge on the inside lip that is not allowing the drum to pull off because the shoe is holding it on. Just use a large flathead screw driver to back the adjuster off. Depending on what side it is, will determine if you have to rotate the adjuster up and down. The adjsuter access hole will be at the bottom of the backing plate. Just be sure to give it plenty of rotations, and it will pull off very easily. Also it would be a good idea to have your drum turned if the ridge is big.

thanks i already got it off.

Joesgarage

Wrench
Reaction score
Thanks mately!
I need to check the 14 bolt in my 92, Reminds me of being back at DBCC Fl. all then colored parts.
Maybe I'll see ya in Feb. Going to stay a week or so in Melbourne (with son-inlaw) before heading to Christchurch N Zed
Steve

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score

^If you happen to have a '95, you will find out like I did that there is NO opening to reach the adjuster. That was about 5hrs of banging to get the drums free. :nono: