Rebuilding Ford HP44 with GM outers for SAS.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Okay. From summit I dont think you have a choice. but from WFO you can get either but its like 30 bucks more. I will just go with the summit one with TRE taper, and then order the drag link to fit my truck. and another joint for the other end of the drag link. And since I am saving on swapping out the Ford for GM outers, I might go ahead and go full hi steer? Just a thought.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
300 for a 14bolt FF is over priced if it is just a stock axle pulled from a truck.
Around here, a 14 FF in usable condition sells between $100-200.

The only stock 14FF worth that is a CUCV axle.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Here is the donor truck that I would be able to pick up for 400. Its a 77 with D44 up front and D60 in the rear. Bed full of spare parts, and it runs and drives. I could sell and part out the rest, or junk it to help cover the cost. Says it has a 360 with c6 tranny as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

that is a low pinion highboy big hub 44, the pinion angle is even lower than a chevy 44 on those,works fine if you swap to the divorced 205 case that would be under that truck, people don't use the ford flat tops because they are weaker and tend to break when you do crossover on them

Last edited:

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
that is a low pinion highboy big hub 44, the pinion angle is even lower than a chevy 44 on those,works fine if you swap to the divorced 205 case that would be under that truck, people don't use the ford flat tops because they are weaker and tend to break when you do crossover on them

So this one wont work? I want to stay with the transfer case I have.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that is a low pinion highboy big hub 44, the pinion angle is even lower than a chevy 44 on those

He kept posting HP44, this truck might be a 77.5 F250. (I can't see the picture, it is blocked for me so if there is something obvious, my appologies) Early 77 F250's were LP but mid year was switched to High Pinion axles. F150 and Broncos were low pinion through the entire 77 model year.

Airman, have you looked under the truck to verify that it is a high pinion axle?

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
No I havent, which is what has me concerned. I emailed the owner back to ask. I assumed 77-79 was all High Pinion, but shows how much I know haha Thats why I posted HP44. If not I will keep looking. Thanks for the help everyone.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to help your search, trucks with axles that will work with your current T-case location and still be a HP to make drive shaft angle far more ideal:
77.5-79 F250 will have either D44 or D60
77.5-79 F350
85-97 F350

The 92-97 F350 axles will be ball joint axles, but still plenty strong for what your doing with it. Historically people tended to avoid these axles due to the short drivers side axle tube, honestly, unless your building a coil sprung, linked suspension, it is really not an issue. Plus the extra offset of the diff will make drive shaft clearence around the down pipe easier.

These trucks also came with Sterling rear ends, these are great axles and can take abuse, plus the aftermarket is really starting to develop parts and support for them. I know of a couple people running bone stock sterling rears with healthy V8's and 40-44" tires.

Other axles that I am not super knowledgeable about, but are becoming a popular choice in teh offroad world, 99+ metric bolt pattern super duty axles, particularly the (I think) 05 and up axles with 35 spline outers. I would have to to research to give some specific facts and specs though.

The only axles that I would tell you to avoid are 94-up dodge D60's. It can be done, and people do it, but they are not the best choice, Low pinion, unit bearins are a weak point as is the pass side CAD/shaft.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Ahhh I didnt know the later F350s would work as well. What about the years between 85-92? Are they just a D60 thats not balljoint style? And how much different is a d60 install than a D44?

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To answer and further clarify,

77 and earlier axles are not bad axles, just not good for this application, all were low pinion and you start dealing with closed knuckles.

77.5-79 F250 D44 are ball joint axles with a 31.5" spring pad wideth, some F150's got leaf springs, most were coil and radius arms.

77.5-79 D60's are kingpin axles with a spring wideth of 31.5" (same as the D44 of the same vintage and are pretty much interchangable.)

85-91 D60's are kingpin axles, with 36.5" spring pad wideth, the differential is offset more to the driver side.

92-97 are dimentionally the same as the 85-91 axles but have ball joints instead of kingpins.

If you stay leafsprings, the spring wideth is not an issue as long as you carefully select your wheel tire combination.

98-on are metric super duty axles, again, I am not super knowledgeable about these but I will try and others can clarify/ correct my information. 98-03, F250 had D50 and F350 had D60, all were leaf sprung axles. In 04, the F250 went from leafs to coils / radius arms. Dana 60's were further redesigned in 05 with 35 spline outers and larger unitbearings. My understanding is that the D50 is still a stout axle. I will see if I can find a link to more info on these axles, I honestly have never messed with them.

EDIT, I found this regarding SAS with SD axles, it's an 01, but the ideas are similar.
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220581

Last edited: