Rebuild or Replace 4l60??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanhanson3

Reaction score
I'm in search of some help.. I have a 1994 K1500 Silverado Ext cab, 4×4, 5.7L, Auto... So as the ole girl hit 196,000 mi. the automatic transmission crapped out on me recently. The truck was a wedding gift and I love it, it's a Great Truck.. I'm no dummy, I've been through school, spent most of my life wrenching. So I'm curious, if I decide to just Rebuild the 4l60 myself, Do I need to replace the Torque Converter? What's a good brand of rebuild kit?? It's a Work Truck, hauling, what about a Shift Kit yes/no?? I appreciate y'all feedback, Thanks in advance for your help...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

NickG80

Reaction score
They aren’t hard to rebuild. You will need some special tools, the lip seals in the input drum can be a PITA. I took my 4l60e apart and decided to swap in a 4l80. I plan to tow a lot with this truck and I’m. It a fan of the programming/ logic GM used on these early 4l60e’s especially PWM torque converters. If you rebuild it get a new converter Dacco is a good brand, make sure you get the 7 pack to upgrade the direct clutches. Transtar is probably your best bet to get every you need without online mail order stuff. Good luck

ryanhanson3

Reaction score
Well thanks for the feedback... Like I said before, I'm not sure which option I'm going to go with yet... It's a Great Truck, I have No plans for ever get rid of it... Thanks AGAIN!!!

ryanhanson3

Reaction score
If that's the case, I would strongly recommend looking into a 4L80E swap.
I've been considering that option as well.. is there a bunch of mods swapping to the 4L80E or is it going to squeeze up under there relatively easy??? I have a bunch of work to put into the old girl while she's down so It also gives me a bit to think of My options...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
is there a bunch of mods swapping to the 4L80E or is it going to squeeze up under there relatively easy???

There's quite a bit to it, but none of it was super difficult in my experience. I had a shop do all of the labor, but they were done with it in about three days. Off the top of my head it's moving the crossmember back a little on the frame, different flexplate and torque converter, different cooler lines, different driveshafts, adding an input speed sensor and wiring for that, moving the wiring around at the transmission plug, and tuning the computer. Since you have a 4WD you'll have to deal with a few things I didn't, like the front driveshaft and transfer case input shaft. Also getting a tuned computer to control the 80E will probably be more difficult, but I'm sure there are some guys here who can help point you in the right direction. Here's the thread I posted for the 60E to 80E swap in my '97 C1500.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/97-c1500-4l60e-to-4l80e-swap.38819/

ryanhanson3

Reaction score
Yea I looked into it a bit... Thinking I'm gonna accept the challenge n Rebuild My 1st Automatic Transmission.. thanks so much for all ur input....

NickG80

Reaction score
No need to reprogram your pcm just need the pcm and prom from the donor truck you have TBI, 96 and up is where the programming and “hard stuff” come in. the swap isn’t hard I’ve done it now in my driveway. Would have been easier at work with my lift and tools, but due to construction and lack of parking even for customer cars it’s here at my house with me flat backing it all with a floor jack and ratchet straps!

YukonKyle

Reaction score
I agree with your choice to rebuild. The amount of work, money, and added weight of a 4L80e needs to really be worth it.

NickG80

Reaction score
Yea I looked into it a bit... Thinking I'm gonna accept the challenge n Rebuild My 1st Automatic Transmission.. thanks so much for all ur input....

Just make sure you get the upgraded traction shell, do not reuse yours. Get a brushing kit, replace them all. Watch monster transmission videos they are pretty good, any questions just ask and submit pictures.