rearend problems please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdavis8317

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dont know if this is posted in the right section or not but here it goes. here lately i have been noticing that when i take off from a light or sign every once in a while it feels like there is a slip then catch in the rearend like it has a little slack in it somewhere or some thing is loose it has me stumped maybe my rear diff is about ready to bite the dust any help is appreciated in advance

Reaction score
I'd check the ring and pinion. Jack it up (chock the front wheels), pull the diff pan, put it in neutral and spin the driveshaft with your hand. Check the teeth on the ring and pinion for a chipped tooth.

If that doesn't work, you might have trans problems

jdavis8317

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
feel like its coming farther back then the trans its either the rearend or the carrier bearing hard to get a day off to check it out

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I had my posi unit put on at my brothers shop they found a piece of my gears missing and I did have a little slip as well I would address it soon before it messes up all of it.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had a few chipped teeth on my ring gear and when you let off the gas and coasted without load on it it sounded just like a bad u-joint clunk

jdavis8317

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks guys i stumbeled on a 454 ss complete rearend cheap so i might just buy it and swap them out

jdavis8317

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i didnt want to have to spend money i dont have but its cheaper than all new ring and pinion etc.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
i didnt want to have to spend money i dont have but its cheaper than all new ring and pinion etc.

Yeah I know...I had to have my rear end rebuilt last summer because the pinion bearing went out and then metal shavings wore down the gears...total cost was $1100 :nono: I should have just bought a 14 bolt then, but I didn't know enough about the swap at that time...