Rear wiring 1999 GMC Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebmrust

Reaction score
I have the barn doors and door unlock rocker switch at the back passenger side pillar.

I wanted to add a 12v accessory plug (as always hot) on the bump out of that rocker switch cover.

I can’t find a hot wire in the back area to tap into. Anyone else do this mod? Anyone have a wiring schematic?

Last edited:

Jnunez74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the barn doors and door unlock rocker switch at the back passenger side pillar.

I wanted to add a 12v accessory plug (as always hot) on the bump out of that rocker switch cover.

I can’t find a hot wire in the back area to tap into. Anyone else do this mod? Anyone have a wiring schematic?
You should have an orange and blue run in the frame harness that isn’t utilized. If you can’t find a hot, I might recommend making use of those your power and a grommet behind the tail light to get it there

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
You should have an orange and blue run in the frame harness that isn’t utilized. If you can’t find a hot, I might recommend making use of those your power and a grommet behind the tail light to get it there
Let us know how this comes out. This is something I have been thinking about doing on my Burb....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Even if there's not an existing circuit, should be super easy to make a run from an aux terminal on the convenience center under the hood. Just route it with care so you don't end up melting anything expensive.

Richard

thebmrust

Reaction score
I was apprehensive to using the orange wire, since every time I tested it (attached the 12v accessory plug) it would activate the door locks.

I left everything connected in test mode and nothing seemed to go awry so I made permanent connection and put it all away.

Power to orange wire.
Ground to self tapping screw on D pillar.

I’ll try to get pics (we all like pics).

thebmrust

Reaction score
Even if there's not an existing circuit, should be super easy to make a run from an aux terminal on the convenience center under the hood. Just route it with care so you don't end up melting anything expensive.

Richard
I will eventually make an aux power run from engine bay to rear of Burb. I wasn’t ready to do that for this small of a project.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was apprehensive to using the orange wire, since every time I tested it (attached the 12v accessory plug) it would activate the door locks.

I left everything connected in test mode and nothing seemed to go awry so I made permanent connection and put it all away.

Power to orange wire.
Ground to self tapping screw on D pillar.

I’ll try to get pics (we all like pics).

He was talking about the orange/blue wires for a 7 pin trailer plug that would be wrapped up in the frame and not in the door.