Rear Main Seal replacement, Best Way?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the process? Does it just slide in there or what?
And Do I need to lube it?

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once you remove the old seal you'll have to tap the new one in with some sort of driver. In a pinch a big socket will work. I always pre-lube the seal before I install them.

marsmann

Reaction score
Try this - pull the inspection cover then remove the 3 torque converter bolts. You should have enough room to slide the converter back then remove the 6 bell housing bolts holding the engine and transmission together. Pry the two apart about an inch. This should allow you to go up between the flywheel and converter to remove the flywheel bolts and remove the flywheel. Following that, remove the 5 or 6 bolts holding the rear main seal plate on rear of engine block. Replace seal and reverse order to reassemble but do not forget to check the rear seal on intake manifold since they are prone to leak. It is tight, but in my opinion it is better than dealing with dropping the trans and all of the extra time/effort involved. Work patiently and you can get through it. Last time I did that was over 7 years ago so anyone correct me if I missed a step.