Rear hatch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keithndi

Reaction score
So I have '95 Tahoe. The rear hatch won't latch and stay closed.
If I push the button on the dash or use the remote entry, I can hear the actuator release.
The hatch is open but won't stay closed.

Thanks for the help.

keithndi

Reaction score
Yes, it's a tailgate with the rear glass. Son keeps driving it around so I haven't had time to look at it. I think the latch is pretty inexpensive so it may just replace that and hope for the best.

Trio

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@keithndi

Try lubricating it before replacing it. All of these tahoes (whether barn door or tailgate) can get dust and grime built up in the latches over time. Often just a good cleaning and lubricating of the latch mechanism is all that is required. Consider yourself lucky - usually when they stop working, they are locked closed rather than open.

keithndi

Reaction score
@keithndi

Try lubricating it before replacing it. All of these tahoes (whether barn door or tailgate) can get dust and grime built up in the latches over time. Often just a good cleaning and lubricating of the latch mechanism is all that is required. Consider yourself lucky - usually when they stop working, they are locked closed rather than open.
Yeah, half can of WD-40 and push on it with a screwdriver looks like it did the trick. Opened and closed about 20 times with no problem.

Trio

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, half can of WD-40 and push on it with a screwdriver looks like it did the trick. Opened and closed about 20 times with no problem.

You're welcome? :). Glad that's all it was, most fixes aren't that simple.

And, thanks for coming back to post the outcome - many come on here and post a question, get a bunch of replies with potential solutions, and are never heard from again. You help the next guy by posting your outcome.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Proper and regular lubrication of stuff like this, will keep small problems from becoming bigger, more expensive ones. Door latches and hinges , just like hood hinges and latches, should be sprayed every couple of months, or at least 2 or 3 times a year. The door hinge and roller issues our trucks are notorious for, start out because they get dry, and dirt can collect there too. The hood bending issues the square body trucks have, have the same root cause: dry parts don't move/work freely and make resistance to the force of closing the hood easily. Hood won't shut, so they force it...hood taco. You should be able to shut the hood, doors or lift glass with one hand!
Dad used spray white lithium grease, many brands available.
My trucks usually remind me when they need a shot on the door hinges....I heard that creak Saturday, need to spray the driver's door on Rawhide.