Rear end issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, as of late Im having an issue with the ass end of the truck. Heres what its doing. When Im completely stopped, Ill let the clutch out to get the truck moving. In 1st Ill feather it, and ever other gear, Im on and off fairly quickly. Problem is when the truck is stopped, letting the clutch out, there is a pop/clunk from the rear end. You can feel its somewhere in the RR area. I can drive down the road, tracks straight, posi works, and over bumps in the road, theres no clunk/pop coming from the suspension. Only happens when starting to move from a stand still. No issue in any other gear. Depending on how aggressive I am at getting going, sometimes its pretty bad, and other times, it doesnt happen at all.

Any suggestions as to what to look into? Im going to go over the suspension again, make sure theres no gaps or anything out of place. But other than that it just leaves the axle. What in there could be causing this?

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Could be that there is too much backlash and you're hearing the gears hit each other when you first start moving...just a guess though

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The universals are only about a yr or 2 old, and are still good. I found no play in them when I tried turning the driveshaft. I havent checked anything in the rear end yet.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh... my 87 did that turns our all my universals were bad .... could be play in the rear itself...lots of backlash could do the same thing

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres a question, if it was backlash or anything in the rear end, if I left the truck in lets say 2nd gear, revved it up to like 3000RPM's then let off the gas, if I heard or felt anything then that would probably indicate rear end? But if i didnt....? Ill have to drive it tomorrow and report back with some tests done...

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hard to say... every case is different...my friend drew had his rear blow a piece of metal out his rear coin down the highway although I am not really sure the specifics of your question..

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I went out this morning, put the trans in neutral, e-brake on, and while trying to rotate the driveshaft, there is a noticable ping coming from the pumpkin. Hopefully whatever is going on in there will hold up until it gets warmer out so I can take a look in there and see what it is.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
make sure your u bolts are tight mine did that for awhile and still does from time to time so i just keep cranking them down