rear end identification for a gmc sierra c2500 2wd 5.7 ltr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebannister8

Reaction score
hi all...i have a 89 gmc sierra c2500 2wd and i'm trying to learn if the rear end is limited slip or something else...it has a 14 bolt cover plate and there's a casting on the side that reads cfo 9690...i don't see a tag on it and the information on the inside of my door is mainly missing...thanks

Last edited:

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
the information about which axle you have will be on the RPO codes tag in your glove box

The gov-lock rear end code is G80

thebannister8

Reaction score
thanks for the reply...there are 2 stickers in the glove box...one is for camper information and the other is for parts identification...the parts identification one has alot numbers ( different codes )...what would the code be for non gov-lock rear end...how many kinds are there...and as a side question is there information anywhere for what all the codes mean...thanks

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the reply...there are 2 stickers in the glove box...one is for camper information and the other is for parts identification...the parts identification one has alot numbers ( different codes )...what would the code be for non gov-lock rear end...how many kinds are there...
Here is a list of the rear end codes:
GQ1 -- AXLE REAR, STD RATIO
GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)

If it is an open rear end (no traction aids) then it will just list the gear ratio code. Is your truck a 6 bolt wheel pattern or 8? If 6 then you have a 9.5" semi-floating 14 bolt rear axle.

and as a side question is there information anywhere for what all the codes mean...thanks
http://www.rpocodes.com/

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah it was fine back when the 'Glides, TH350s and 400s were ruling the roost but when the auto ODs came along it was brutal on the highways.