Rear Drum Brakes 1996 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Check to see if the flat bar(just below the wheel cylinder) with the two fingers on the ends(& spring on forward end)is in correctly.Check to see if the cable moves freely through the housing as it goes through the backing plate.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That flat bar was in correctly, the parking brake cable was absolutely seized up. Got a new parking brake cable going to install it tomorrow! Truck should be good afterwards! Thanks everyone for the help, much apprecuated!

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I dont know whats wrong honestly. Thought we had it figured out but the parking brake won't work. The passenger side is messed up somewhere. I'll attach a picture.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

HOPEFULLY THIS IS NOT THE SAME PICTURE.

ernjohn

Reaction score
the pics don't tell me much. but to be clear: you can put the parking brake pedal all the way to the floor and the brakes do not enage?

Are the new cables the same dimensions as the old ones? assuming they are correct, did you adjust the brakes properly prior to testing the parking brake? if yes to the previous two questions and the driver's side works properly, have you tried increasing tension on the passenger's side cable via the equalizer?

i know finding the correct rear parking brake cables for my ''96 k2500 was a pain - on some the cable length itself was correct but the sheathing length was wrong. The dealerships around here listed multiple options even when provided with the VIN / GVW / wheelbase.

Additionally, the (new) dorman equalizer (p/n: 21121) fresh out of the package was complete junk and ended using an ac delco (p/n: 25512384).