REAR DRUM BRAKE HOWLING NOISE AFTER LOWERING TRUCK ANY FIXES ?HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

llcjr

Reaction score
sounds like an issue i had ....but the issue i had was caused by doing burnouts way to much and smoking the brakes.. not saying you did or the shop heck i seen a few people get it from being realy easy on the brakes and glazing them over. i fixed mine by getting the drums turned and using and emery cloth or somthing rilly course and sand a little on the pad to rough it up.

Yea I'll try the the drums after the brake like I haven't check the brake lines yet I was so annoyed I just stopped driving it until I can fix the problem but i will soon

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I had the exact same problem after doing a flip kit. It has Extremely Loud at low speeds right before I come to a stop, and today I realized that if I put it in neutral that it doesn't do it. I've checked my brake lines, new drums. Scuffed them up. but someone just mentioned the pinion angle which sounds like a good idea to check.
Any fixes here?

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's to bad the original poster didn't update his thread with what he found wrong or what was needed to fix it. As far as pinion angle the pinion shaft should be parallel to the output shaft on the trans. They don't need to be a straight line but they should be the same angle. I hope my description makes sense to you.

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish people would update their post when they solve a problem. Like the sloppy steering issue.
I just looked at my pinion angle and it is horrible. Soon as I get time I'll tear it apart and get it straightened out, and I will update.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They make wedge shims to correct it. Usually used in front ends with straight axles for caster adj. I havn't done a flip kit but would assume they would have that figured out in the kit. Could something be installed backwards or wrong side?

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Excellent question, that has been haunting me for the last 24 hrs. I'm thinking so. Which means my axle would be closer to trans rather than moved back an inch, which might cause some rubbing from the drive shaft (?). Also if the axle saddles are on the wrong side I think it would throw of pinion angle, which is what I have. IDK, we will see when I get a chance.
I leave my house at 4am and drive 2hrs to work, when I get home after a 10 hr shift and the drive home,6 days a week I'm done, and its dark.Plus my comutercar is overheating (violin plays softly in background)

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4hrs a day for a commute ? Got to be a better way. I have my shop in the back yard I walk to work, about 25'

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
My 98 x cab did this. Didn't start for a couple years after the drop until I went for a drive with the ebrake on, weird huh? haha.
I tried new shoes and hardware, lasted about 80 miles before noise. Tried another set of shoes, hardware, and turned drums. Lasted about 80miles. Next I tried new shoes, hardware, and new drums. Lasted maybe 50 miles before noise was back. In between all this I tried cleaning, lubing, adjusting, everything I could think of. Drove me absolutley insane, so I swapped to rear disk brakes. Problem over.