Rear disc swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dan73-05

Reaction score
I have a 98 2500 ECLB, 350, 5 speed, 8600 gvw with the 14 bolt full floating rear end. I've had issues with the rear brakes since I bought it, one locking up at random during a moderate stop, the other not doing much.

I'm tired of pulling them apart just to try something else, so I'm thinking about using the Offroad Design disc brake kit. Which would then use the front calipers and pads from a 73-87 3/4 ton. I'm also thinking I'll rip out the non-functioning ABS and put in an aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve.

Are the residual pressure valves in the ABS unit on these trucks? Meaning I'll have to get some aftermarket ones to put in line.

Are the RPV's in the master cylinder meaning I'll need a new one of those? Should I plan to go with a NBS master cylinder anyways?

Is this just a bad idea in general? Looking around, a lot of the info on here is for 6 lug stuff, and I can't find much info about the rest of the system, just the parts used.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Your rear brake issues is probably your proportioning valve. If you're not getting brakes on 1 side and getting extreme braking on the other, I would assume that the actual piston inside the proportioning valve is not running straight, causing 1 side to be blocked and the other side full open.

dan73-05

Reaction score
I'll look into the ruffstuff kit, it says it only works on axles up to 1987, so I'll have to see what the issue would be.

I don't know for sure where the issue is, I have both brakes, but the right side one sometimes locks up. It's not the early morning locking up either, it'll do it fifteen minutes in, and then stop locking up, then a half hour later it'll start in again. I suppose it would be cheaper and easier to put a NBS master on, along with an aftermarker proportioning valve, before screwing with the axles again.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do what i did, get a axle out of a GMT800. move the spring perches in a little and add a proportioning valve to the rear, put in a 1410 u-joint and never deal with drums again!

My truck stops so much better and do not lock up when a little brake dust builds up. the axles are all over craigslist and junkyards for about 150-250.

Pontiacs-r-us

Reaction score
Maybe not relevant,but I've had issues similar to this caused by an emergency brake cable.Binding in sheathing. Mainly on 73-87 models,but maybe worth a shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk