Rear Axle Seals Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
For a stock 10 bolt, w/posi or not.
Jack the rear of the truck up. Block the wheels & use jackstands.
Pull the wheels & the drums.
Drain & remove the diff. cover.
Remove the center pin. It's held in with a long small headed bolt on one side of the carrier.
Push one axle in slightly.
Remove 'C'-clip. An extendable magnet works best.
Remove the axle. Repeat for the other side.
Grab the old seal & rip it outa there.
Slowly & carefully tap around the edge of the new seal with a small hammer to seat it into the housing. Make sure that the surface of the housing for the seal is clean first.
When replacing the axle, avoid nicking the seal with the splines of the axle.
Clean the drum's braking surface. Check the shoes for saturation. They may have to be replaced if soaked. Use a new hardware kit for the brakes. Clean up the backing plate.
Reverse the dismantling procedure for the install.
Don't forget that long small head bolt that holds the center pin!

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would also replace the bearings aswell while to you have it apart. You'll need to rent a tool from your local parts store. Its a slide hammer,with a 3 prong attachment that grabs onto the backside of the bearing, which can be a ***** to get out. I had to heat up the axle tubes to get them to expand to make it easier to remove. You will also need to rent a seal, bearing install tool to reinstall them.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Good idea there, aaronb.
Both of my trucks have had right side bearing issues. I don't know if that's a common prob or not.
One has posi, & the other doesn't. Just my luck? I replaced both sides. May as well. It was all apart & I hate the smell of that gear lube, so why mess with that stuff twice?